RE: shared printer not printing from jobs initiated from vista pc

I went to the add/remove programs but have no idea whay to remove. I do not
see anything in the list that says drivers.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

Carl, go into Device manager on both of them, delete the drivers, and start
again!
And/or, go into Add and remove programs,(programs and features in vista) and
delete from there; redo them
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"carl43m" wrote:

The situation has some additional aspects to it. When I first got the new
desktop I just hooked the printer into the vista machine and the system went
and found the vista driver and the printer worked ok. The xp machine shared
the printer and it worked ok too. However, I realized a short time afterward
that the capabilities of scan/copy and fax would not work because the printer
mfg. did not have vista drivers for those activities on this older printer.

I then thought that the printer always worked when it was hooked to an xp
machine so I just unhooked the printer and attached it to my laptop xp pc.
It can now print/fax/scan/copy attached to the xp pc. I set it up to share
on the network and the vista pc can see the printer. What is alo interesting
is that when I first moved the printer to the xp machine I had to ask the
vista machine to connect to the printer. At that time a dialog box asked to
install a new driver. I am wondering if that driver might have been an XP
driver which could have overridden the original vista printer driver that was
installed. Obviously, I am not an expert on these technical aspects. I
don't know whether the vista machine needs an xp driver because the commands
go bach thru an xp machine or it needs a vista driver. Is there anyway I can
investigate which printer drivers exist on my vista machine or if I need to
uninstall anything in case there is both an XP and a vista driver in conflict
on it? Thanks for any suggestions.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

1 Have you set XP to allow file and printer sharing?
2. Do you have the Printer's vista compatible driver installed in your Vista
Desktop computer?
3. In vista>Network>Network ahd Sharing>Add Network device>did you browse
for XP's Printer, find it, and install the drivers?

Also below is how to Network XP and Vista

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"carl43m" wrote:

I have a printer that is hooked to an XP laptop that works just fine. I have
it to be shared on my network with my new vista desktop. The printer shows
as available when I am on the desktop. When I try to print I get no error
message but nothing happens at the printer. I tried sending two single page
jobs to it. I then clicked properities for the printer and tried to cancel
the jobs from my desktop. I got an "access denied " message. If I go to my
laptop to try and clear out the queue it does not show the jobs as waiting.
But every time I am on my laptop it shows the two jobs as waiting. Any way
to cancel them and more importantly any ideas on how to get the printer to
print them? Thanks.

  • Re: Cant print to my Windows 98 shared printer from my XP compute
    ... File and Printer service and it allowed me to use the folder sharing feature ... Wizard allowed me to use the existing print driver on the 98 machine. ... built-in printer driver. ... sharing is not working despite have a perfectly working network connection. ...
  • Re: Connecting to printer on XP computer from Vista computer
    ... You need 64-bit driver. ... The best way to do it is adding the printer as local printer first and then remapping it as network printer. ... Access is denied when setup network printer in Vista ... ... From another laptop running 64-bit Vista Home Premium, ...
  • RE: shared printer not printing from jobs initiated from vista pc
    ... desktop I just hooked the printer into the vista machine and the system went ... and found the vista driver and the printer worked ok. ... Also below is how to Network XP and Vista ... Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing. ...
  • Re: Cant print to my Windows 98 shared printer from my XP compute
    ... and the file and folder sharing feature is working. ... If I was running another XP computer on my network, ... is not a printer driver issue either (proven by using the correct ... >>>the 98 machine) or a Lexmark issue. ...
  • Re: Access to printer denied
    ... the printer driver that there is a problem communicating with the printer. ... Vista Print IssuesThere are connection problems to your printer ... How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on ... XP Home and a laptop running Vista Home Premium. ...