Re: Vista laptop/XP Desktop printer sharing

Thank you for the sharing your experience with us. Adding the printer as local printer and then mapping it as network printer does fix a lot printer issues.

"Spike9458" <BMCSretired@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:9358ce41-b55f-4868-9721-254140e554d8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi there,

I had a similar problem, and here's how I worked around/fixed it. I
have a Linksys wireless router, and a Netgear Print Server that links
my laser printer to the network without having to run a separate
computer just for printing. My Vista Business could never find it
either.

What I did was assign my Print Server an IP of 192.168.1.102, and
then I ran the 'Add Printer' wizard. I ran it by selecting the button
that says my printer is not listed, then chose the 3rd option, 'Add
printer by using a TCP/IP address or hostname', and inserted the TCP/
IP address.

Every time I browsed for the printer, the search timed out without
finding it. This is kind of a blind way of doing it, but when I
printed a .pdf file, sure enough, it did print. On your desktop, click
start/printers & faxes, and right click your printer, and select
properties. Click the Ports tab and see what port it is installed on.

You can either use the IP address if it is on a TCP/IP port, or if
it's on a local port, you can use the UNC address, which would look
like this: "\\Desktopcomputername\printer name" except for the
quotes.

If you have successfully printed to this printer over your network
in the past you should be all set. If not, you need to be sure the
printer is shared on the desktop.

Give it a shot, it should work.

--Jim