Re: Vista fails to get IP from router

Kerry & Jack:

The network card appears OK as shown on the Device Manager.
I tried a static IP but the Diagnostic is still pointing to the router being the cause of this problem. I have three other machines which have static IPs and one laptop which uses router assigned IP. So, the router is working static or automatically assigned IP.

Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
Hi
First look at the OS Device Manger and make sure that you have a valid error free installation of a Network card.
Then (for diagnostic purposes) try a static IP that is out of the Router's DHCP range.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"churin" <churin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OZgPghU0IHA.4424@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I just installed Vista x64 and found it failed to connect to my home network. Diagnostic indicates the Vista is failing to get IP from the router. This did not happen when I installed Vista x86 or XP x86, x64. Other machine running these OSes have no connection problem.
What could be wrong with the Vista x64?

  • Re: Belkin Router
    ... You'll find this in Device Manager, ... double-click the entry for your network card, ... >I just got a new Belkin 4 Port Router, ... > ALL CABLES ARE TIGHTLY SEATED, I SWITCHED CABLE TO ASSURE THEIR ...
  • Re: long ethernet (LAN) cable
    ... 100 metres is max Ethernet cable length, is the network card on the PC ... > Thanks Jim. ... > That other PC can be connected to a router using a shorter cable alright. ... Blow the jack out with compressed air and try again. ...
  • Re: Router w/ single computer question
    ... Have you checked the device manager to see if your network card is ... Do I need a crossover cable to hook up a single computer to a router? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: network problem
    ... XP desktop -- using network 10/100 network card. ... Had an ethernet card hooked to router via CAT5. ... HP Z557 MCE -- Control Panel network properties show the network card. ... However I checked the connection and its ok. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Network Card
    ... > Does the capacity of youre network card have any baring on youre download ... I have a dlink wireless router. ... At dsl line speeds of 2Mbit, this is unlikely to be a ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)