Re: Vista cannot see XP machines

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 10:09:14 -0700, "Bill" <no@xxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

To search for a computer, type its name in the Search box preceded by
two backslashes:

\\COMPUTERNAME

Now that is intuitive, user freindly and discoverable.:(

Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing
Center. Make sure that Network Discovery and File Sharing are turned
on. Configure the network as a private network.

Network Discovery is on. The network is a private network.

If there's a firewall program (Norton, McAfee, etc), configure it to
allow access by other computers on the local area network. Note that
some antivirus programs have firewall components that have to be
configured, such as Norton Antivirus' "Internet Worm Protection".

There is no 3rd party firewall or anti-virus program installed.

"\\COMPUTERNAME" to refer to a networked computer is hardly intuitive,
but that's what Windows has used since the days of Windows 95, and
possibly earlier.

You didn't say whether File Sharing is turned on.

Turn Network Discovery and File Sharing off, then turn them back on.
Go to the network connection properties and un-bind "Internet Protocol
Version 6". Those steps sometimes get file sharing to work on a
stubborn Vista computer.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

  • Re: Network/Security issue with $ shares
    ... the Windows XP Professional group, as it pertains to both Operating Systems. ... I am on a wired/wireless home network, ... The laptop is able to access all files on the PC using the default ... With simple file sharing, there are ...
  • Re: Need Help on Assigning Specific Permissions to Shares
    ... XP uses simple file sharing by default. ... Either everyone on the network can or no one can. ... permissions or NTFS permissions. ... In the past, using Windows 2000, I've been ...
  • Re: Networking
    ... It sounds to me like one computer has Simple File Sharing enabled, ... KB304040 - Description of File Sharing and Permissions in Windows XP ... And for more information about how to gain access to a shared folder on a remote ... Create a Shortcut to a Network Location in Windows XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: net use , ipconfig and map network drive
    ... disregard as simple file sharing can't be turned off in Home Edition. ... >>Hi I have a friend who is having problems setting up a home network. ... Have tried both computers with/without Norton and Windows ... View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: Remote Access
    ... sure how it works if there is a mixture of OSon a workgrouup network. ... there is a Home OS on a Workgroup, that Simple File Sharing has to be used as ... the face of shares and resources on stand alone workstantions. ... privleges the Guest Account provides, ...