RE: file sharing between XP home(sp3) and Vista home premium(sp1)

Normal Cat5 cable that you hook from your computer your router is "Patch"
cable--

"Crossover" is a way of not having a Router; 1 comp can hook up to a Modem,
and the 2 computers link with the Crossover cable.
But using that way, you still have to set up the sharing!

Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"kimberly in oregon" wrote:

Thank you Mick, but technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx was the
manual my work based on. And I also followed all your advice step by step,
ran xp network wizard 3 times, have same workgroup name for both computers,
turn off firewalls instead of making exceptions because that opening port
part was hard for me to follow. All the settings in the Vista network file
sharing were set to exactly same as what you said and it still does not
cooperate with me..^^.

Again, please note I can open Vista's files from XP but not XP's folder from
Vista. Any other suggestions? Do you know about cross cable? Some said that
it would be instantly connected by cross cable but mine did not work....>.<

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"kimberly in oregon" wrote:

I am having trouble to access files from vista to xp(NTFS). There is no
problem for XP to get in vista but not vice versa.

I can see the name of xp computer from vista network but just could not get
in. When I click the XP for access, no error messages but just stuck there
forever and I could not kill it after ~20 minutes even with "task manager" so
that I had to reboot the computer. Both computers connect same private
network wirelessly.

I made both computer workgroup name same, off firewalls, and filesharing
configuration according to MS manual for each computers as follows;
xp file sharing: check "share this folder on the network"
check "allow network users to change my files

vista network and sharing center:
On: "network discovery", "file sharing", "public folder sharing", "printer
sharing".
Off: "password protected sharing", "Media sharing".

Share folder : check "share this folder" and add "everyone" for "permission".

Perhaps, I need to do more adjustment for my xp beyond turning off firewall
and file sharing configuration as above but don't know what. I am working on
this for 2 days and nights without success. I've even tried to connect by
cross cable but it did not work either. Please someone help me.

  • Re: Simple Printer Sharing/Networking Question
    ... And all 3 desktop computers are running Windows XP Pro ... We have turned on sharing for the network printers (in association with this ... caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including ...
  • Re: Turn off all sharing and network discovery
    ... which is basically Windows XP running as a virtual ... It does need its own AV and firewall. ... unnecessary network resource sharing and resource discovery. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Turn off all sharing and network discovery
    ... which is basically Windows XP running as a virtual ... It does need its own AV and firewall. ... unnecessary network resource sharing and resource discovery. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Networking
    ... This link will take you through Vista networking very well: ... Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall; or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating system does not permit it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Network problem connecting to Vista
    ... TheXP laptop is configured for file and printer sharing. ... If I open Network in the Vista PC it shows the laptop. ... by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)