Re: Question about usb wireless client

This one is. Been using Vista supplied drivers since RTM. It's a Zonet
ZEW2500P, drivers are Ralink drivers Digitally signed as Vista hardware
compatible. Vista Device Manager lists it as a RT2500 USB Wireless LAN
Card.

--

Walter B

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <findemail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
make sure the USB is compatible with Vista.
Vista incompatible issues
Some switches or routers may not compatible with Vista - Solutions:
upgrade the firmware, ... As we know some router DHCP is not compatible
with Vista. ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistacompatible.htm

"Walter Blanchard" <Walter_B@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I'm wondering if my USB wireless client is about to fail. Yesterday, I
could no longer connect to either my home workgroup or the Internet from
my Vista x64 box. All had been working fine until then. After fooling
with every possible combination of hardware and software possibilities
for the problem, I finally did what I should have done first.

I ran ipconfig and the results showed the IPv4 address to be one of those
169.xxx.xxx.xxx addresses. The setting were to automatically get IP
address and DNS server. So, that explains why the computer wasn't on the
workgroup or couldn't get to the Internet.

I manually set the IPv4 address to one in the range of my LAN 192.168.x.x
and filled in the ISP's DNS server address. Everything is working fine
now.

Could the fact that the USB device didn't automatically find the IP
address, etc. be the warning of a hardware failure? Should I start
looking for another? Finding a USB wireless client that works with Vista
x64 won't be easy.

TIA

--

Walter B

  • Re: Making the case for Vista 64
    ... are needed to make their hardware function under a 64-bit Windows operating ... Vista specific. ... The point that I've been making all along and that everyone but Ben missed is that Vista 64 is viable operating system for someone with a NEW, ... My findings, based on plenty of pre-purchase research, is that you're going to have a hard time finding NEW hardware that doesn't have Vista 64 drivers. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: im looking for more infor on 64bit
    ... you could sort through your hardware/software and see just what your incompatibilities with XP64 are. ... It will take some more time and I think most hardware vendors are waiting for Vista to be closer to reality before they invest a ton of time into 64bit driver development. ... it does run well if you have all the right drivers installed and if your work/usage is confined within its limitations. ...
    (comp.graphics.apps.lightwave)
  • Re: removing windows vista
    ... Considering the piggish system requirements for Vista and how it ... slows every host when compared with the same hardware platform as ... Microsoft's policy of charging money to approve the drivers). ... Did you install Vista on 64-bit hardware? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: removing windows vista
    ... Considering the piggish system requirements for Vista and how it slows every host when compared with the same hardware platform as for XP, yes, there is a problem with Vista. ... It's also worth remebering that much existing hardware does not have Vista drivers available for it. ... For drivers, you need to install a version that matches the operating system, not for the hardware. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Which XP to use
    ... I guess since Vista is the only thing that is new, ... Vista compatible drivers are needed for all the hardware. ... As with any new OS some hardware manufacturers will not release Vista drivers for their legacy hardware. ... They've had a long time to prepare for this, but unfortunately many have dropped the ball, including the PC manufacturers for the drivers they have created for their new hardware, like your laptop. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)