RE: Network between XP & Vista

Marklouca,

You may have solved your networking problems by now, however, if not, you
may want to try a software program, Network Magic, at this site:
http://www.networkmagic.com/

They make setting up a network with file and printer sharing between
computers on a wired or wireless network easy. You can try out their
software free for 7 days to see if it would be of help to you.

Microsoft has done a much better job with networking setup for Vista than
with XP. Still, it is not as "user friendly" as it could be for the average
Joe to figure out. Microsoft often forgets the average folks when creating
parts of the OS. I think the corporate/business world with IT departments is
their main target, so many of their components are "geek" access only, and we
poor average folk must struggle to understand how to use many of the OS
features.

"marklouca" wrote:

Hello,
I hope you can help me. I am a novice with computers and am having problems
setting up a home network. My desktop is running XP and is cabled to a
Netgear wireless router. My wireless laptop is running vista. I can access
the internet without any problems on my laptop through the router, but can't
connect to the desktop. It would come in handy to access files, but the main
reason is i want to use the printer that is connected to the desktop.
My router does not have a USB, or flash port.
During my fumblings I have had the laptop appear on the desktop and vice
versa in workgroup computers, but I can,t access the computer once it appears.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you could use little words that
would be even better.
Thanks a lot.......Mark.

  • Re: XP Pro does not map Computer Names to Network IP addresses Why?
    ... >>>that a hacker would be able to get into my network through his laptop. ... >>>If I assign static IP's to my work computers and have ZAP only allow those ... >>I believe ZAP contains stateful features (ie better than just "this external ip ...
  • Re: SyncToy installation
    ... Hi again, thanks for your last reply, my PC & Laptop both hav XP SP2 ... Both computers are not visabl on the laptop, A directory has been created MY ... Windows Network, With sub Directories MSHOME>John's Laptop>Shared Docs (with ... If both computers are visible, on the laptop, now create a folder. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Home network problem (router and 2 laptops)
    ... >> (could be the Novell network software that I installed and later removed). ... I can also see both computers in My Network Places. ... >> try to access the other laptop. ... Open Notepad. ...
  • Re: home networking
    ... >>>I am trying to set up my home network with a desktop and laptop. ... >>>computers are running XP SP2 Home Edition. ... >>>can I use the existing wired connection? ...
  • Windows Networking Abruptly Stops...umm, Networking.
    ... I share documents between my laptop and my ... I clicked on Workgroup Computers in the My Network Places window and ... it showed both the LAPTOP and the DESKTOP computers. ... So I re-ran the Home Network wizard in My Network Places again on both ...