Re: Wireless connects even if wired connection is available

On Mon, 26 May 2008 07:48:01 -0700, Bill
<Bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am running Vista SP1. When I turn on the computer with an ethernet cable
attached and a wireless connection available, Vista will connect both the
wired and wireless connections. This leads to a conflict and networking will
not work until I turn off one of the connections. I then need to manually
turn off the wireless, at which point the wired connections works. This did
not happen on this computer when I ran XP.

I thought this might just be an idiosyncricy of this computer since I have
not seen any discussion about the problem but I got ths same thing happening
when trying to troubleshoot another laptop.

Can anyone off me a suggestion as to what may be happening and how to
correct it?

Open your "Network and Sharing Center" and click on the "Manage
wireless networks" link on the left of the page. You should see a list
of wireless networks which you have previously connected to.
Right-click on the network which is automatically connecting, and
select "Properties". Under the "Connection" tab, make sure the box
marked "Connect automatically when this network is in range" is
unchecked.

Chris

  • Re: Networking Port Drops Wired/wireless -realtek responsible?
    ... > connections and them my ethernet connections. ... I seem to have fixed the wireless problem ... > network connections. ... >> I've replaced a TON of bad nics over the years. ...
  • Re: Limited or no connectivity message
    ... The "limited or no connectivity" is typical for wireless connections, ... When two network connections in the computer are active on the same subnet ... I have 3 PCs on my home network. ...
  • Re: Delete Network on XP SP2
    ... I had those connected up in a network and was able to connect to the ... They are connected from a Belkin Wireless Router via the ethernet ... You have a misconception that the ethernet connections are somehow different ...
  • Re: XP Home and Wireless Access Point
    ... > NetGear Wireless Access Point - configured to obtain IP automatically from ... > with "Let Windows manage wireless connections" turned off) and connects ... > management or he loses network sniffing elsewhere. ... > can not ping anything on the LAN or get on the Internet. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)