Re: setting up a network

Make sure you are connected to YOUR wireless network, you will never find the other devices if you are not.

Did the new PC come with a Security program like Norton Internet Security, McAfee or some internet security program rather than a simple Antivirus program, is so I would start there.

HTH

<jay.lunis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:O1F7BTJyIHA.548@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
OK, I admit it, I'm not a computer guy. I recently bought a new (Vista Home Premium) PC to replace my XP PC. On the XP PC I had a wireless network I could access with my PDA and laptop from almost anywhere in my house. With the Vista PC I fail constantly. I have read a handful of web articles on how to accomplish this but I apparently am missing a step.
The Netgear router is working on the Vista PC. Firewall on the laptop is (when I'm trying to get a connection) disabled. The Network status on the laptop and PDA show a good signal. How do I troubleshoot this?
FWIW, 'Connect to a Network' on the Vista PC and laptop show 2 networks - one secured and one unsecured. I don't know why. All I want is the secured.
Can I uninstall these wireless networks and create a new one?
The Vista PC also has a wired?/cabled? network to access the cable modem and NAS. Does this make a difference?

  • Vista to XP large file transfers over wireless fail consistently
    ... I am experiencing a wireless network compatibility issue between ... Windows Vista Ultimate and Windows XP Pro. ...
  • RE: Network between XP & Vista
    ... I have a laptop running vista that is connected wirelessly. ... In Vista Network and Sharing: ... ON (So it can see the other computers) ...
  • Re: Dell Laptop on Local Area Network?
    ... My comments below apply to a wireless network. ... A wired connection would probably set itself up, but if not you may have to use the "new connection wizard" to get the laptop to properly detect and configure everything. ... Encryption type: You may have to set this. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Vista Not Playing Nice - Sharing Files
    ... The Computer Browser service is running on both the desktop and the laptop. ... On the "Show Me All the Files and Folders I am Sharing" link in the Network ... Vista to Vista shouldn't be an issue. ... Vista Permission Issues ...
  • Re: Desktop PC Vista cannot see laptop XP
    ... I have Norton Internet Security and on the Laptop I have Trend Micro's Client Server Security Agent v 5.0. ... Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing. ... In Vista Network and Sharing: ...