Re: Vista laptop/XP Desktop printer sharing

Do you receive any system errors if using net view \\xpipaddress command/

"Not Me" <cargod01@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uJzaCLtyIHA.4772@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have a Vista Home Premium Laptop, an XP Home laptop and an XP Home desktop (and an XBox 360) connected to my Linksys wireless G router and an XP Home desktop connected via CAT5 to the same router.
All connect to the internet fine.
The XP laptop finds and uses the printer on the desktop fine.
I had setup a share of the Canon I560 printer, connected to my XP desktop, on the Vista laptop and it worked fine.
I don't believe I made any changes, but now it won't find the printer and I can't seem to install a new copy.
The Vista machine will not detect the printer and won't even find the XP desktop or laptop on the network.
The XP machines find each other fine.
All machines get their IP address from the router via DHCP.
All are in the same workgroup, or it seems so. Strangely the Vista machine shows WORKGROUP and the XP machines show Workgroup, even if I type the name in caps, XP still shows Workgroup and Vista WORKGROUP.
I checked every setting repeatedly as described in http://technet.microsoft.com:80/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx
I tried to setup the printer manually (\\machinename\\printername) but Vista still wouldn't find it.
I do not have any third party firewall or security suites installed.
I have AVG8 and Sptboy Search & Destroy as well as Windows Defender running on all machines.
Any idea on how to meke my printer work again?

  • Re: Browstat.exe usage problems in Windows Vista Business
    ... Vista Business machine as well ... ... N' are bound - all machines. ... As for my preference for NetBEUI as a security solution being misplaced, ... Which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid - if Vista would network with XP ...
  • Re: XP to Vista -- only halfway there
    ... concerning networks that combine Vista and XP machines. ... I am setting up an inhouse network that links together three machines, ... by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including stateful ...
  • Re: Can connect to network, cannot see other computers
    ... Like many other new Vista x64 users, I'm able to connect to my home ... network XP Home and Vista with no problem. ... start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see ... by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful ...
  • Re: Problem getting a new XP computer to join an NT 4.0/Win 98 domain
    ... > the computers and the file server with the goal of getting ... > If you scan Network Neighborhood for the Entire Network after ... > booting, there are 3 workgroups: ... > machines to see and map to shares on the NT file server. ...
  • Re: Problem getting a new XP computer to join an NT 4.0/Win 98 domain
    ... > the computers and the file server with the goal of getting ... > If you scan Network Neighborhood for the Entire Network after ... > booting, there are 3 workgroups: ... > machines to see and map to shares on the NT file server. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)