Re: Vista Sharing with older versions of Windows

All three already have the same user name and passwords.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

Have you tried to create the same username and password on the both ME and
Vista? Or this search result may help.
Vista common issue - can see but ...
Apr 9, 2008 ... Vista Permission IssuesVista common issue - can see
but access ... So, the common issues sharing are 1) you may be able to see
it but access ...
www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=450

"stevef" <stevef@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I have a peer-to-peer network that has 1 Vista Home Premium, 1 XP
Professional, and one Windows Me machine. I know that Windows Me is no
longer supported by Microsoft, but I MUST have a machine that run a
particular piece of DOS software, and it only runs fully on Windows 9x.
(NT-based O/Ses don't understand its MIDI device calls.) Vista doesn't
run
it natively at all. (No full-screen DOS sessions.) This software is
crucial
the everyday running of my business. (A windows version has been promised
since 1994, but it hasn't appeared yet.)

I would like to upgrade the XP machine to Vista, but I can't get the Me
machine to see the Vista machine that's already there. I use XP to serve
files to the Me machine so having communication both ways is absolutely
necessary.

The Vista machine will read the Me machine, but when I try to get the Me
machine to see the Vista machine, I get asked for a password, and no
matter
what I try, the connection is refused. The Vista machine has the password
protected sharing turned OFF, so it shouldn't be asking for a password
anyway.

I have no problems reading the Vista machine from the XP one.

I need to sort this out or I can't upgrade.

Any ideas?

  • Re: upgrade c: from pata to sata with vista ultimate 64bit upgrade dis
    ... "How to Clean Install Windows Vista with Upgrade Media ... When I began inquiring into various Windows Vista installation options late last year, Microsoft and its representative grew quiet and seemed to begin selectively answering my questions. ...
  • Re: Format again
    ... specs to see if it can handle Vista. ... and I want to reformat my hard disk and re-install Windows XP ... and update it with a Vista upgrade which my good lady brought ... Instead of performing a clean install of XP, ...
  • Re: Its official: upgrade hack included in Vista SP1
    ... It has never been possible to upgrade in place from 32bits to 64bits for any Windows client or server software because a 64bit OS MUST be installed by a 64bit installer. ... The Vista installed on the first pass can be either 32bits or 64bits in such a case. ... Please understand that the installation methodology used to install Windows has always been at the convenience of the user. ...
  • Re: installing vista onto second hard drive
    ... There is no need to install anything on the second drive before Vista because Vista upgrade Setup is going to already see the XP on the first drive. ... You do not have to install any software but you do need to own another Windows license. ...
  • NN General Assembly - Tractors versus Bugs
    ... > It has many things to do with why Windows doesn't release memory. ... I will not upgrade to vista... ...
    (alt.lang.asm)