Re: ICS across XP and Vista

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 16:51:03 -0700, Bart
<Bart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have setup a small home network with a desktop running XP SP2, a Shuttle
Media Centre running Vista and network printer. Both PC can access the
printer and can transfer files across. Using the LAN portion of a D-Link ADSL
router for the interconnection but no ADSL connected. The XP PC has a 56k
Dial-up which I am trying to share with the Vista machine. I believe I have
done the set-up on both sides properly, IP addresses check out, workgroup
checks out, have firewalls up on both with Norton Anti-Virus on the XP end,
indeed can see a "residential gateway" on the Vista PC. Howver, when I try to
connect to the internet from the Vista PC, nothing happens on the XP PC (no
dial out). Even when I connect on the XP PC, no internet traffic flowing to
the Vista PC. Should this work? What am I missing?

If I understand your setup, you're using the ADSL router as a network
switch to connect the two computers, not as a router. Disable the
router's DHCP server so that the Vista PC gets its TCP/IP setup from
the XP PC, then disable and enable Vista's LAN connection.

Check the TCP/IP configuration on the LAN connections. They should
be:

XP:

IP Address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: none
DNS Server = none

Vista:

IP Address: 192.168.0.x (1<x<255)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS Server = 192.168.0.1

The Vista PC was looking for the router to connect it to the internet as
supposed to the XP machine. Default gateway was wrong! Talking to you from
the Vista machine now. Thanks for your help!!

You're welcome!! I'm glad that my suggestion helped you solve the
problem. Thanks for letting the news group know the solution.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

  • Re: Does Vista Firewall support more than 1 active network at a ti
    ... someone from the Vista developers see this post (and maybe do something about ... more than one network is used with a single-state firewall. ... -- 2 or more virtual LAN adapters ...
  • Re: Emailing web form information to me
    ... To deal with your comments on Vista, it is the mapping via 'my computer' ... or indeed the other bug that causes Publisher to ... have a default folder such as "public_html" that you are supposed to upload ... In the Map Network Drive dialog box, ...
    (microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign)
  • Re: Is any part of Ethernet circuitry tied to Open Firmware? (final post summation)
    ... as much as one can "solve" Vista problems. ... I opened Vistas "Network and Sharing" control panel ... window opened, named "Local Connection Status". ... "Local Connection Status" window closed. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: connection profiles in vista?
    ... What if I don't have any other set of static IP, Gateway, DNS, etc? ... so I can just unplug the cable and plug into the other network ... How can Vista not find the IP ... Vista and Thinkpad both have an undock safely functionality ...
  • Re: Vista can not see XP
    ... The Network folder also does NOT show the XP. ... but it's not the XP that's not seeing the Vista. ... I am not able to access the Dell XP computer from the HP Vista desktop. ... Local Area Connection 2 Properties, ...