Re: Delayed network connection on boot - Clean install

I am just about to disable IPV6 and see how things go. The other thing I have
done is to disable NIC's that were not being used and on the NIC being used I
have set the speed and duplex, rather than have it set to Auto. This has
helped but not by a lot.

As far as the router goes....I would REALLY be surprised if this was the
issue. I have several machines (XP) connected to the same router...and there
is no issue. Also a previous install of Vista didnt have this issue. I will
be upgrading my router later this month...so we will see...but really I doubt
this is it.

So it seems the mystery continues.

Brant

"V Green" wrote:

"BrantRaven" <BrantRaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I will try a fixed IP and see how things go...but I really doubt that this is
the issue. Doing an ipconfig immediately after the machine boots and when the
network indicates no connection, reveals a correct IP address...so it doesnt
seem to be this problem.

Lets keep in mind here that this is a totally clean Vista build with no
other issues. I cant imagine why you would require so much tweaking just to
get a clean build running properly.

Brant

Maybe it isn't completely a Vista issue,
such as a router incompatibility problem.

Several folks here have had weird things happen
with particular routers that was solved by updating
firmware or getting a different router.

Have you tried disabling ipV6 yet? That seems
to have helped some.

"V Green" wrote:

"BrantRaven" <BrantRaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried several of these already but with
no
luck at all. There doesnt seem to be anything obvious that is going wrong
or
any particular component that is failing. This issue has been reported
across
various tech sites and blogs. It seems to be a common problem and while
people have made suggestions for a fix nothing has seemed to solve the
problem.

Currently my system experiences at least a 3 minute delay after reboot.

Brant

Try running with a fixed IP and see if it clears things up.

If it does, you now at least have a smaller subset of things to look at...

"Frankster" wrote:

Also... check Device Manager for errors. You might also want to use
Device
Manager to update your NIC drivers. And maybe your disk controller
drivers.
I've seen some occasions where the built-in disk drivers did not
properly
identify the drive type/capabilities and installing the drivers from the
vendor's site improved performance.

It could be something other than the network connection itself causing
the
delay.

-Frank

"BrantRaven" <BrantRaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
To try and remediate the problem so far I have done a few things. Here
is
short list of what I have tried;

- Looked at the network hardware to ensure that a DHCP IP is being
delivered..it is.
- Looked at the NICs and ensured that power management and similar
features
were not enabled
- Disabled wireless. I have read that the issue does happen with
wireless.
Didnd work!!
- Disabled firewall. Didnt work!
- Disabled defender real time protection. Didnt work!!
- Disabled the workstation service. Didnt work!!
- Disabled SuperFetch. Didnt work!!

Tried a few other bits and pieces. Nothing seems to work.

Brant

"Frankster" wrote:

I have spent the last 2 days trying to resolve this issue, so any
help
would
be greatly appreciated.

What have you done so far?