Re: Another Remote Desktop problem

Well if you cant telnet 3389 it means something still blocking access to that port, most likely another security sofware with integrated firewall is installed (or not correctly uninstalled). And yes it cant be a router issue as if i understand good both computer on lan and router only shaping wan<->lan traffic.

Csaba

joebean write:
I am trying to connect to my Vista Ultimate 32 machine from an XP
Professional machine. I can't get a connection or even an attempt at a
connection.

Here is what I've tried so far. - I turned off the Windows firewall.
- I am connecting from another computer inside my network.
- I have tried both the (less secure) and (more secure) options in
the Remote desktop area.
- I have tried to telnet to my machine to port 3389 and it fails to
connect.
- I can ping the machine, see shared directories and connect to
remote management.
- I have turned on all services having to do with remote access and
terminal services.
So just clarify, it isn't a router issue, I am just trying to connect
from one machine to another inside my network. Once I get that working,
I will setup the router.

I have been searching around for a while trying to find the answer to
this problem. I have seen a hundred posts related to this topic but they
all seem to end to at "try to telnet to port 3389" with no further
a fairly common vista problem so it would be great to find an answer.

  • Re: No inbound email from external domains -- please help!
    ... Or as previously stated, it is the ISP actively blocking port 25, which I've seen them do if they thing abuse of terms is happening. ... I don't know how to verify router forwarding all 25 request to wan side. ... Your server is not responding to any telnet requests. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: no incoming email
    ... Disconnect the router from the External NIC and hook a LAPtop up to the NIC ... If you are unfamiliar with sending an email with Telnet ... > external side ip 24.154.1.24, port 43760, was received on our public ip, ... > of my exchange server all the way through. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: big problem with email
    ... a reason I know of that I might want to come in on port 23 to do what? ... I telnet in to routers, printers and switches on 23 but that is the ... external nic of the SBS is installed on. ... eliminates your router from the test. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Unable to send email from VFP
    ... Is Possible your router is blocking mail traffic? ... try to telnet into your mail server from cmd prompt - ie ... Port is blocked at router ...
  • Re: Port forwarding
    ... inadvertantly removed the default gateway setting (poiting to the router) ... > telnet 192.168.1.1 3391 ... > You get a response. ... > - Your router is set so that it forwards packets for port 3391 to ...