Re: VPN and Remote desktop connection problems

The new Vista may have a 3rd party firewall block different subnet if you have one. If yes, you may need to add the work LAN subnet when you use VPN. For a test, start the Vista with clean boot.

windows faqsHow to run Windows OS with a clean boot How to stop the Messenger Service ads How to tell who is logged on at a remote computer ...
www.howtonetworking.com/winfaqs.htm

"buddy" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:be01857ac776f7158d398c901689b017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have a new Lenovo with Vista for business OS (that replaces my old
thinkpad on XP). At my office, I am able to use remote desktop
connection to remotely operate my work pc (a VISTA business OS) - by
attaching to the work network by wire. However, at home I use the VPN
to connect to the work network. THe VPN connects just fine but the RDC
comes up with the error message "This computer can't connect to the
remote PC."

At home I have a 3 PC wired network with the notebook being one of the
connections. THe other PCs are XP pro's and can connect via the VPN and
RDC to my work PC with no problems.

I've read the posts and it seems there isn't a clear answer to this
problem. Also, if there is a fix that affects my home network, then
what happens when I'm traveling and use the broadband connection in a
hotel? If the issue is opening ports, I'll need some help as my
experience with my router (netgear) is basic to moderate.

I need to resolve this as I leave town in a week for business and I
need to connect.

Thanks

--
buddy

  • RE: Remote desktop over a VPN
    ... I understand the issue to be: you have created VPN ... from SBS to remote network, however you can not VPN to remote network from ... This issue may occur because the ISA Server Firewall Client program does ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Remote User Management
    ... The problem is management of remote computers and compliance ... when they do not have network ... We have been considering installing Site-Link VPN appliances at the ... establish connectivity to domain resources. ...
  • Re: VPN Connection to remote site.
    ... If you need further assistance about SBS and ISA in the future, please feel free to post back. ... >Subject: Re: VPN Connection to remote site. ... >problematic and we found that the EPOS PC tended to drop off the network ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Remote site browsing and file access
    ... than routing typically causes for remote netbios name resolution). ... -- uses software VPN to connect 10.10.0.0/255.255.248.0 network to remote ... -- Server provides all local DNS and DHCP ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Benefits of Network Extention Mode vs IPsec
    ... "Network Extension Mode" is Cisco-specific terminology, ... you're talking about Cisco VPN gear. ... One of the big problems for IPsec deployments is making sure that the VPN ... For remote access VPNs, where you've typically got a single machine ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)