Re: Vista laptop/XP Desktop printer sharing

The system error could be a security software or name resolution issue. Any errors in the event viewer? Or this post may help too.
Vista: Can't see other computers
Dec 25, 2007 ... Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:44 pm Post subject: Vista: Can't see other ... System error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found. ...
www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?p=515&sid=5619b03a6b6e07f8024ebe4c86ae726b

"Not Me" <cargod01@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uPnNfq5yIHA.5716@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
system error 53, the network path was not found

I went through the steps again and again from http://technet.microsoft.com:80/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx but no change.
I reinstalled the topology patch on the XP machine to make it show in the Vista network map (KB922120).
I then ran the XP network setup Wizard as recommended in another thread.
The Vista machine does NOT show in the XP network map.
I updated the firmware on the Linksys WTR54G router to the latest available, and made sure all the router settings were correct.
The XP desktop with the printer attached does show in the map on the Vista laptop now, but clicking the XP machine from the Vista machine's map does nothing and it still won't connect ot print. On another network, clicking the computer's icon on the map opens it.

The XP machine had Norton Security (2005) on it from the factory, but it was uninstalled long ago.
I ran the Norton cleanup tool today to make sure it wasn't interfering.
I did note that the XP machine wouldn't let me open the Windows Firewall to check the settings today.
Due to an unspecified error, Windows Firewall settings can not be displayed.
Very interesting, I have not installed another firewall or security suite.
Hijack This, Spybot Search & Destroy, Windows Defender and AVG8 all show the machine is clean.
Network set as private
Network Discovery ON
File Sharing ON
Public folder sharing ON
Printer sharing ON
Pass word protected sharing OFF
Media Sharing ON

Any other ideas?

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <findemail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:ubQkG2vyIHA.3680@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Do you receive any system errors if using net view \\xpipaddress command/

"Not Me" <cargod01@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uJzaCLtyIHA.4772@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have a Vista Home Premium Laptop, an XP Home laptop and an XP Home desktop (and an XBox 360) connected to my Linksys wireless G router and an XP Home desktop connected via CAT5 to the same router.
All connect to the internet fine.
The XP laptop finds and uses the printer on the desktop fine.
I had setup a share of the Canon I560 printer, connected to my XP desktop, on the Vista laptop and it worked fine.
I don't believe I made any changes, but now it won't find the printer and I can't seem to install a new copy.
The Vista machine will not detect the printer and won't even find the XP desktop or laptop on the network.
The XP machines find each other fine.
All machines get their IP address from the router via DHCP.
All are in the same workgroup, or it seems so. Strangely the Vista machine shows WORKGROUP and the XP machines show Workgroup, even if I type the name in caps, XP still shows Workgroup and Vista WORKGROUP.
I checked every setting repeatedly as described in http://technet.microsoft.com:80/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx
I tried to setup the printer manually (\\machinename\\printername) but Vista still wouldn't find it.
I do not have any third party firewall or security suites installed.
I have AVG8 and Sptboy Search & Destroy as well as Windows Defender running on all machines.
Any idea on how to meke my printer work again?

.