Re: Router does not show as part of network

Sorry about stepping into this thread, perhaps my comments have already been made.

If you want to see the router in 'network' window you must turn on UPnP in both the router and in Vista.
(see UPnP in help) In Vista this is now called Network Discovery (Network and sharing center). In your router you will have to dig around and find the UPnP setting. Also firewalls can block network discovery, Vista SHOULD automatically enable network discovery thru the firewall if it is Vista compatible.

Sometimes I find turning an option off and then back on helps, even if it was ON to begin with.

Michael

"carl43m" <carl43m@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:67CE6699-0DFF-4871-9117-CC5062966E71@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I agree with you. I can see the laptop and we can share files , so I guess I
should just be happy about that. I just kept thinking that something must
not be right because a few weeks ago the network would show the router I was
hooked into and now it doesn't -but I can live with that. Thanks again for
the recommendations.

"Steve Winograd" wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 06:49:01 -0700, carl43m
<carl43m@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Both items you mentioned are enabled. I can see my laptop on the >network
>from the desktop and vice versa. Another interesting point is >this--When I
>first got my new desktop I had my old desktop plugged into the router >and
>then I added the new desktop to the router as well as the laptop being
>connected wirelessly. I could see all three pc's in the network and >share
>files among them. Once I got the new pc working and files from old >desktop
>transferred ( I didn't ttransfer any settings), I then unhooked the old
>desktop. Rather than leaving the new desktop plugged into its original >slot
>on the router--after I physically moved it to where the old desktop had >been,
>I plugged the new pc into the slot where the old desktop had been. The >new
>pc did not show the laptop as being on the network, even after >rebotting.
>However, once I plugged the new pc back into its old slot , then the >network
>showed both the desktop and laptop as being on the network, but no >longer
>showed the router.
>
>I am under the impression that the desktop could be plugged into any of >the
>router spots and work and that the network should show all items. Am I
>mistaken?

Yes, the desktop can be plugged into any router spot. Yes, the
network should show all items.

However, it's been my experience that the list of networked computers
in Windows Vista (and earlier Windows versions) is often incomplete.
You can spend a lot of time troubleshooting it, but I don't think it's
worth the effort.

To access another computer directly, type the other computer's name in
the Start Search box in this format, then press Enter:

\\computer

You can also create a desktop shortcut to another computer, specifying
the computer's name, as above, as the location of the item.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

  • Re: Vista laptop/XP Desktop printer sharing
    ... and a Netgear Print Server that links ... If you have successfully printed to this printer over your network ... Vista network map. ... I updated the firmware on the Linksys WTR54G router to the latest available, ...
  • Vista to XP large file transfers over wireless fail consistently
    ... I am experiencing a wireless network compatibility issue between ... Windows Vista Ultimate and Windows XP Pro. ...
  • Re: HELP... cant get it connected to my router for internet etc..
    ... "Now the other computers on my network ... This indicates that the DHCP server in your router is working. ... MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security ... "This connection has limited or no conectivity. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Moving Day for That Vista Machine
    ... Moving Day for That Vista Machine ... And as if PC moving day weren’t hard enough, most people now faced with this task have to migrate from an older version of Windows to the new Windows Vista, which typically stores user files in different folders from previous versions. ... The Windows Easy File Transfer program that comes with Vista can help migrate program settings while Laplink’s PCMover can migrate settings and try to move your software. ... One way to get files to the new machine is to connect the two machines by a wired or wireless local area network and use built-in Windows tools to copy files. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Moving Day for That Vista Machine
    ... Moving Day for That Vista Machine ... task have to migrate from an older version of Windows to the new Windows ... Vista can help migrate program settings while Laplink's PCMover can migrate ... wired or wireless local area network and use built-in Windows tools to copy ...
    (soc.retirement)