Re: Unable to share root folder from Vista Notebook with Network

Hi
Vista root drive sharing is blocked by security.
There is no real reason to share it. If you do not want to use the public sharing, make a new folder with a subfolder system, and put there every thing to be shared according to your preferences.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"bwills" <bwills@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:AE285FDC-004F-423E-8E2C-E9A9ACD6BDF7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Running XP desktop (wired to network) and Vista Biz notebook (wireless to
network)...both in same Workgroup. Wanting XP desktop to access Vista
notebook root drive. On Vista notebook: Setup file sharing per guidelines in
various threads in this section. Network Discovery On, File Sharing On,
Public folder sharing On, Password protected sharing Off. Also setup share
permissions per guidelines, allowing Everyone and Guest (not really needed
due to password protected sharing being off) access to the share. Not using
Windows Firewall, instead using Norton Internet Security on Notebook with
Personal Firewall Disabled for testing. Access results are as follows: I am
able to see the share on XP desktop AND access public folder fine but receive
"Access is Denied" error message saying "you may have permission to use this
network resource" when attempting to access root share. Not sure what
troubleshooting steps to take next, I'm fairly sure it's a share permission
problem of some sort, just can't figure out the specific problem and
solution. Can temporarily use the public folder sharing option but don't
want to have to do this long term. Any suggestions welcome.

  • Re: How to share user folder without password?
    ... guide in that link try sharing something other than ... Vista sets permissions for these directories ... As for Malke, I have to disagree. ... - Any person that wants to share files with other network systems ...
  • Re: Unable to share root folder from Vista Notebook with Network
    ... Vista root drive sharing is blocked by security. ... Public folder sharing On, Password protected sharing Off. ... "Access is Denied" error message saying "you may have permission to use ...
  • Re: Newbie. Questions on file sharing
    ... it is just a quick link to the "sharing" tab on the properties screen. ... To access Share I have to open Explorer, select Desktop on the left pane of the window, then select "Daniel" folder on the right pane and click the button Share in the toolbar. ... Is it different from one version of Vista to another? ... Check all the allow box next to full control (Note - this screen doesn't actually GRANT permission - that is done in the security tab. ...
  • Re: networking xp to vista
    ... Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing. ... Exceptions are worded in their Firewall) ... ON (So it can see the other computers) ...
  • Re: Shared folders on Xp cannot be found from Vista
    ... I was able to get the sharing to work, the fault was not the Vista machine. ... firewall misconfiguration issue. ... start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see ...