Re: Vista cannot see XP machines

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 19:44:37 -0700, "Bill" <no@xxxxxx> wrote:

I am very new to Vista. I have a small home network. The three XP
machines on the network use static IP addresses. One of the XP machines
shares a printer. When I open Windows Explorer on the new Vista
Business machine and click on Network the only computer listed is the
Vista Business machine. Network Discovery is turned on on the Vista
machine. The workgroup name is set to WORKGROUP on both the XP and
Vista machines.

I cannot find any way to search for a computer by entering the computer
name or IP address as I can in Explorer on XP. I have no idea what the
search box in the upper right corner is supposed to do but it does not
work. As soon as I type any character in the box it says "No items
match your search."

I can ping the XP machine from a command window on the Vista machine.

If I do DIR \\COMPUTERNAME\PRINT$ at the command prompt on the Vista
machine the directory on the XP machine is listed.

I can see the Vista machine in Explorer on the XP machine.

What must I do to allow Vista to see the other computers on the
network??? Thanks.

To search for a computer, type its name in the Search box preceded by
two backslashes:

\\COMPUTERNAME

Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing
Center. Make sure that Network Discovery and File Sharing are turned
on. Configure the network as a private network.

If there's a firewall program (Norton, McAfee, etc), configure it to
allow access by other computers on the local area network. Note that
some antivirus programs have firewall components that have to be
configured, such as Norton Antivirus' "Internet Worm Protection".
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

  • Vista to XP large file transfers over wireless fail consistently
    ... I am experiencing a wireless network compatibility issue between ... Windows Vista Ultimate and Windows XP Pro. ...
  • Moving Day for That Vista Machine
    ... Moving Day for That Vista Machine ... And as if PC moving day weren’t hard enough, most people now faced with this task have to migrate from an older version of Windows to the new Windows Vista, which typically stores user files in different folders from previous versions. ... The Windows Easy File Transfer program that comes with Vista can help migrate program settings while Laplink’s PCMover can migrate settings and try to move your software. ... One way to get files to the new machine is to connect the two machines by a wired or wireless local area network and use built-in Windows tools to copy files. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Moving Day for That Vista Machine
    ... Moving Day for That Vista Machine ... task have to migrate from an older version of Windows to the new Windows ... Vista can help migrate program settings while Laplink's PCMover can migrate ... wired or wireless local area network and use built-in Windows tools to copy ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: getting into an apple os 10 workgroup with a vista 32-bit system
    ... but the apple computer will not show up on my network map. ... your friend will need to set up Windows networking on the Mac. ... must create matching user accounts/passwords on both the Mac and Vista. ... do not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the ...
  • Re: redirection on network
    ... if you have a single Vista ... cross-compare the list of clients and protocols installed for their network ... article describing how 4.2 introduces the concpt of Windows CE acting ... You'd have a subfolder under \network, called <servername>, so ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)