In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Bill" wrote:

I am very new to Vista. I have a small home network. The three XP
machines on the network use static IP addresses. One of the XP machines
shares a printer. When I open Windows Explorer on the new Vista
Business machine and click on Network the only computer listed is the
Vista Business machine. Network Discovery is turned on on the Vista
machine. The workgroup name is set to WORKGROUP on both the XP and
Vista machines.

I cannot find any way to search for a computer by entering the computer
name or IP address as I can in Explorer on XP. I have no idea what the
search box in the upper right corner is supposed to do but it does not
work. As soon as I type any character in the box it says "No items
match your search."

I can ping the XP machine from a command window on the Vista machine.

If I do DIR \\COMPUTERNAME\PRINT$ at the command prompt on the Vista
machine the directory on the XP machine is listed.

I can see the Vista machine in Explorer on the XP machine.

What must I do to allow Vista to see the other computers on the
network??? Thanks.

--
..Bill.

  • RE: Strange behaviour!
    ... Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing. ... In Vista Network and Sharing: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)
  • RE: power loss changed network
    ... Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing. ... In Vista Network and Sharing: ...
  • RE: networks
    ... Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing. ... In Vista Network and Sharing: ...
  • RE: Seeing Vista PC from networked laptops
    ... Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing. ... In Vista Network and Sharing: ...
  • RE: Simple Vista-XP network problem
    ... Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing. ... In Vista Network and Sharing: ...