Re: Remote Desktop from Linux console

Lastly I forgot to point you to the ssh man page, which I am sure you know about, if your running LINUX on the remote machine. Check the "X11 FORWARDING" section a little over halfway through the document...

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=ssh

Good luck...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eOgcOdU0IHA.3504@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Here is an example of forwarding an X session through a SSH tunnel.

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/XDMCP-HOWTO/ssh.html

Again dependent on being able to connect to a SSH server on your network from the outside world.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:61BFBB0C-B156-447C-AAF1-70B15987BAF1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Well, if your running a SSH server on L you can connect to V using RDC through the SSH tunnel. I do, or did, that all the time when I ran a SSH server on either a PC inside my router or on the router itself, ie. DD-WRT running on the router. Do you have a SSH server running on L? There are loads of examples of port forwarding RDC through a SSH tunnel. Here are two I have used with either the Tunnelier or PuTTY SSH clients, both Windows programs. In my case I used the regular Windows RDC client to connect through the tunnel to multiple PCs.

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/Ssh/Configure-Tunnelier.html

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/Ssh/RemoteDesktopSSH.html

Is your remote client a LINUX box?

http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=linux+ssh+port+forward&src=IE-SearchBox

I haven't used a LINUX box since I retired almost six years ago so I can't answer your samba question. You might start a new thread about that or hopefully someone else can chime in to help...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Uncle Sam" <sameervijaykar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:732b77b8-4fdf-4f01-9637-1918dacd1cc9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Perhaps this diagram will make my situation more clear:
http://sameervijaykar.googlepages.com/firewall.jpg
All the hosts inside the firewall can be accessed only through the
host L. Now since L is not running an X server, I cannot start an RDP
session to V from L. I created an ssh connection from L to L2 which
does run an X server but even there I could not start an RDP session,
probably because L is not tunneling the X11 connection. So is there a
way I can start a console RDP connection (either from L or L2) to V?

A different but related question is as follows: I have shared some
folders from V. I tried to access these shares from L using
'smbclient' but I got the following error: "session setup failed:
SUCCESS - 0". Any clues? Perhaps I should post this as a separate
query.

  • Re: Remote Desktop from Linux console
    ... if your running a SSH server on L you can connect to V using RDC through the SSH tunnel. ... I do, or did, that all the time when I ran a SSH server on either a PC inside my router or on the router itself, ie. DD-WRT running on the router. ...
  • SSH Tunnel Connection Failures
    ... I'm setting up an SSH tunnel which initally works, ... after the connection is established I start getting error messages ... Tunnel is between Machine A and the SSH Server, ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: initiating connection from the remote host
    ... One way is to use a SSH tunnel and the Tunnelier SSH client. ... work laptop, whichever one is running the SSH server software. ...
  • Re: get into the private campus server
    ... cooperating ssh server. ... the connection over the long term, ... Of course if you then use that tunnel to move massive amounts of traffic ... you're not careful and the outside ssh server gets compromised, ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Remote Desktop Connection
    ... Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience) ... You might also look at OpenVPN or SSL-Explorer as alternatives. ... OpenVPN is completely free like SSH. ...