Re: Remote Desktop from Linux console

Lastly I forgot to point you to the ssh man page, which I am sure you know about, if your running LINUX on the remote machine. Check the "X11 FORWARDING" section a little over halfway through the document...

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=ssh

Good luck...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eOgcOdU0IHA.3504@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Here is an example of forwarding an X session through a SSH tunnel.

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/XDMCP-HOWTO/ssh.html

Again dependent on being able to connect to a SSH server on your network from the outside world.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:61BFBB0C-B156-447C-AAF1-70B15987BAF1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Well, if your running a SSH server on L you can connect to V using RDC through the SSH tunnel. I do, or did, that all the time when I ran a SSH server on either a PC inside my router or on the router itself, ie. DD-WRT running on the router. Do you have a SSH server running on L? There are loads of examples of port forwarding RDC through a SSH tunnel. Here are two I have used with either the Tunnelier or PuTTY SSH clients, both Windows programs. In my case I used the regular Windows RDC client to connect through the tunnel to multiple PCs.

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/Ssh/Configure-Tunnelier.html

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/Ssh/RemoteDesktopSSH.html

Is your remote client a LINUX box?

http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=linux+ssh+port+forward&src=IE-SearchBox

I haven't used a LINUX box since I retired almost six years ago so I can't answer your samba question. You might start a new thread about that or hopefully someone else can chime in to help...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Uncle Sam" <sameervijaykar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:732b77b8-4fdf-4f01-9637-1918dacd1cc9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Perhaps this diagram will make my situation more clear:
http://sameervijaykar.googlepages.com/firewall.jpg
All the hosts inside the firewall can be accessed only through the
host L. Now since L is not running an X server, I cannot start an RDP
session to V from L. I created an ssh connection from L to L2 which
does run an X server but even there I could not start an RDP session,
probably because L is not tunneling the X11 connection. So is there a
way I can start a console RDP connection (either from L or L2) to V?

A different but related question is as follows: I have shared some
folders from V. I tried to access these shares from L using
'smbclient' but I got the following error: "session setup failed:
SUCCESS - 0". Any clues? Perhaps I should post this as a separate
query.

.