Re: Cannot backup a pst file over a home network

Kerry...

That would be a yes on Vista SP1. I don't know where else to turn.

Odd thing - this is my wife's desktop computer and pst file. She also has a
laptop running Vista. She was using that as her principle computer until
recently.

She had no similar problem backing up her pst file from the laptop as are
trying to accomplish now.

jeff

"Kerry Liles" wrote:

"Jeff Ingman" <JeffIngman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Kerry...

The pst file I want to back up is 295,600 KB. But the link you offered
does
not fit the issue I'm having.

The article is entitled - Error message when you use a network connection
copy a large file from one Windows Vista-based computer to another Windows
Vista-based computer: "The connection has been lost"

I'm backing up from a Vista machine to an XP machine and I do not get the
"The connection has been lost" error message.

I don't know if my problem is due to the size of the PST file but this
seems
unlikely to me.

jeff

"Kerry Liles" wrote:

"Jeff Ingman" <JeffIngman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
New Dell PC
Running Vista, Office 2007 & Nornton Internet Security
Am trying to backup Outlook 2007 pst file from one computer to another
on
our network.

I can copy and paste any other file from the originating computer to
the
destination folder without a problem. (Sharing is enabled.)

But I cannot use the Outlook backup procedure, nor can I simply copy
the
pst
file and paste it to the destination folder over the network.

When I attempt a backup or a copy/paste (with Outlook closed) I get the
same
reaction. The "wheels turn" for about 60seconds then an error message
pops
up
saying "There is a problem accessing [path and pst file name]".

I checked Task Manager and verified Outlook.exe is not open. Some how
it
is
glued in place. But I can copy/paste it to a folder on the same
machine. I
just can't move it over the network.

I posted a description of this issue on the Outlook forum but no one
has
come up with a solution.

Jeff

Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932045/en-us

That article supposedly includes 3 different error messages one of which (I
thought) was exactly what you were getting: "There is a problem accessing
*shared folder path*" (see description called 'Error message 2')

Anyway, this and several problems concerning file copying were fixed/changed
in SP1 for Vista.... are you running SP1 of Vista? If you are, all of this
is moot I guess.

  • Re: outlook 2007
    ... I used a network called wd anywhere (because I ... message "cannot start ms office outlook. ... it says it is not a pst file. ... If you used cd to copy, the read only flag at the destination pst has ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.installation)
  • Re: Accessing email from other computers in lan
    ... accesses* to the .pst file, Network access works fine from one client, just ... Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] ... access the same email from my laptop, but the outlook data file is ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)
  • Re: Vista Ultimate and Outlook 2007 mailbox location
    ... The default location of the data files, in Vista, is shown in my origonal ... If you cannot browse, within Explorer, to that location then it is a Vista ... my currently running outlook mailbox on a laptop running fine. ... cannot locate a .PST file using the same setups. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.installation)
  • Re: moving pst file to server
    ... Outlook can create/use files from a network lan/wan drive, ... the steps on how to create a pst file on a network location and set the new ... > server. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)
  • RE: Outlook 2007 Randomly cant open .pst
    ... the use a .pst file over a network connection may result in a corrupted .pst file if the connection degrades or fails. ... Outlook has slower performance than the Exchange Client. ... or Outlook 2003 and have decided to remove it and to use Outlook 2002 or earlier, you must change your .pst file back to an ANSI format. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.general)