Re: Why isn't my question being displayed? - Active Directory Pro

You seem to be trying to set up a domain(Active directory), not a workgroup!
Below is how I set up Home Networks between XP and Vista

sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard to include
Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to
adding a Vista computer to it.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"momentarylapseofreason" wrote:

OK... the error is listed in the original thread.

If I try to use the CTRL+Windows+F command or shutdown -i and attempt to
browse the network, I get the error "Active Directory Domain Services Is
Currently Unavailable".

You say it's not needed for a home network, but I do in fact use these
commands often (or used to in XP at least).

Even browsing for a printer rather than knowing it's exact name gives me the
above error. Would love to know why MS decided to do away with it.

The last link in the original post shows how to setup a DNS server in
Windows 2003 Servers. Seems pretty nuts that I need to setup a separate box
just to host a DNS server so I may view my other computers.

  • RE: Help required. Networking vista and xp machines.
    ... Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing. ... In Vista Network and Sharing: ... ON (So it can see the other computers) ...
  • RE: Cannot access files on network
    ... Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing. ... In Vista Network and Sharing: ... ON (So it can see the other computers) ...
  • Re: Simple Printer Sharing/Networking Question
    ... And all 3 desktop computers are running Windows XP Pro ... We have turned on sharing for the network printers (in association with this ... caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including ...
  • Re: Multiple Linksys products and Vista
    ... Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing. ... In Vista Network and Sharing: ... ON (So it can see the other computers) ...
  • RE: Another Vista and xp sharing issue