Re: Vista assigns 0.0.0.0 IP address when setting up static IP

Hi
Can you confirm if DCHP is enabled on the router.
Can you ping the router
If you are assigning Static IPs, check that you don't have two units using the same config.
Read the dchp router assigned table and check for errors
DH
..

"romeropaul" <romeropaul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:68D779A0-E170-4DDE-890D-4C9CF2181F10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

I need networking help in getting my home webserver up and running.

Im trying to get my home webserver going (either IIS or Apache), but first
I cannot even get my static IP setup in my home network. Vista assigns a
0.0.0.0 IP address automatically whenever I try to do this. I've heard that a
disconnected or bad network cable can cause this, However, I did replace the
CAT 5 cable to the home router, but the network setup still adds 0.0.0.0 to
my fixed ip address. It in fact uses it instead of the one I programmed
in...192.168.1.250. In addition the networking stops working. Does anyone
know what this might be causing this...Vista tells me that its a misconfig in
the networking gateway and that the subnet is wrong.

here is my current setup again:

-use dyndns.org as my dynamic dns providor, with promero.homeip.net as my
website / host name.

-DSL service provided by ATT/SBC, which have dns servers available called:
206.13.28.11 and 206.13.29.11, respectively.

-Speedstream brand DSL modem with dynamically addressed external IP and
192.168.0.1 internal IP.

-Linksys WRT54GX2 wireless router connected to upstream DSL modem and 4
downstream items (2 computers, 1 webcam, and 1 xbox). Internal IP for router
is 192.168.1.1...this is the only IP it has, to my knowledge. Router is
configured for DHCP for IP addresses 192.168.1.50 through 192.168.1.100.
Router is configured to automatically update DynDNS DDNS service with changes
to modem's external ip automatically via special software application. I also
entered the above mentioned ATT/SBC DNS servers under 'external dns servers'
dialogue box. Also, I configured router "port forwarding" to forward TCP
requests on port 80 to internal ip 192.168.1.250 and port 50000 requests to
internal ip 192.168.1.253 (my webcam)

-all network connections via wired cat 5 cable.

-Home Web server: Vista SP1 on a Sony VAIO computer. I configured network
adapter to have fixed IP: 192.168.1.250 on subnet 255.255.255.0 and to have
DNS servers 206.13.28.11 and 206.13.29.11). Web server is Apache, if that may
be of interest to you.

So there it is....it should work...my webcam works ok, but not my website.

thanks for your interest,

Paul

  • Re: [SLE] Firewall zones
    ... In fact, it seems that with only one interface (network card), turning off ... ever change the net on the router). ... this is no substitute for proper security in the config ... effectively moves it from the external zone to the internal zone. ...
    (SuSE)
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ IP ADDRESS ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ... block my ip address vista windows ... change public ip address linksys router ... setting up a network ip address ... warcraft server ip address ...
    (sci.misc)
  • Re: Using Remote Desktop From an SBS Domain
    ... After I thought about needing 3389 forwarded on my router to allow me to ... Remote Desktop "out" from a workstation on my SBS network to a host XP ... Hopefully next week I can attempt a connection while my ISP watches the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Linksys NAS200 Network Storage adapter
    ... The only two wireless network settings that are of any consequence are the SSID and the encryption method and password. ... either click the "Print Network Settings" button on the final screen of the Wizard or simply access the appropriate XML file and get at them that way and then use the information to configure the router manually as I explained earlier. ... I've read thru some of the MS web site on that product and it appears to do everything a NAS will do plus other cool features, such as, with an xbox360 with the wireless adapter, I can stream my video/pics to my TV for family viewing. ...
  • Re: OSPF routes not in routing table
    ... Here's the output of "sh ip ospf database router", ... "(Link Data) Router Interface address: ... Link connected to: a Stub Network ... Number of TOS metrics: 0 ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)