'Share' options missing

I am trying to help someone running Vista Home Premium setup his network to
share files and folders with his XP Home laptop.

Oddly enough, there are no share options AT ALL. No share buttons or no
share options in the context menus -- NOTHING.

We've named the network and simply went out to share a printer (which we
DO have the option to share) -- but when we share it, sharing simply turns itself off. Same in Network and
Sharing Center. We turn the options ON and then they turn themselves OFF. We've
done all the rebooting, etc. and still no go.

I have gone through all the disabling of the UAC and ownership and
permissions, et. al. but, can't get anywhere without the SHARE OPTION being
available. Is his install of Windows Vista Home Premium broken or needing to
be reinstalled? Could that be the problem? Could it have been set up
improperly? Not even sure if that's a valid question.

I have successfully done this before on my Vista Business computer and my XP
Pro laptop and although i did have a few 'permission' problems, they were at
least workable and i worked them out, but this one has me stumped.

Can someone help?
Thanks so much in advance.
Susan

  • Re: Cant schedule tasks to run in future, in Vista Home Premium
    ... How to Create a Task in Vista Task Scheduler ... "C) Under the Network section - ... day, and that is not happening: After I reboot, Vista says the user name ... Vista Home Premium using a regular username even when you supply the ...
  • Re: Network access
    ... multiple times by the same user or by multiple users. ... folder in which the app resides. ... "All computers on the network are Vista Home Premium" ...
    (microsoft.public.access.modulesdaovba)
  • Re: Vista X64 cant print to shared Vista X86
    ... Verify the network configuration is setup property. ... I'm trying to connect to a Kodak 5100 printer currently running on ... Vista Ultimate 32 bit, from Vista Home Premium 64, over a home wireless ... Windows Update; so I assume they are the 64 bit drivers; but to be ...
  • Re: Network access
    ... think about it - 2 people in the same database user space simultaneously; ... folder in which the app resides. ... "All computers on the network are Vista Home Premium" ...
    (microsoft.public.access.modulesdaovba)
  • Re: Printer connection issue...
    ... > machine is in the local domain. ... > to this printer using his own personal XP home laptop when he is in ... > By mapping a network drive to teh c$ share on tele11 from the Xp Home ... In Memoriam - MVP Alex Nichol ...