Re: Wireless Network needs reconnecting each time Vista starts

Hi,

My network is setup as you have described. Also the option to connect
automatically is enabled and and it is displayed accordingly. Only the
broadcast of the SSID isn't enabled. But I'll go ahead with enabling that
since what other readings I've come across the internet concur with what you
said about SSID.

Thank you,
Jim

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

Why are you not broadcasting the SSID? Its not a valid security measure and
causes issues with connectivity.

If you properly secure your wireless network with WPA2/WPA and use a long
random key your safe. I use WPA-PSK [AES] and a 63-character random ASCII to
protect my home wireless network.

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/LAN/SoHoWirelessSecurity.html

Have you configured Vista to automatically connect to your network? Open up
"Network and Sharing Center" then look at the "Manage wireless networks"
over on the left. You can highlight each wireless network you connect to and
configure auto connect in "Properties".

You can also "Merge or delete network locations" to consolidate your
MyWirelessNet, MyWirelessNet2 and MyWireless3 locations. Open "Network and
Sharing", click on "Customize" then "Merge or delete network locations".

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/library/ef2f6472-9d3a-4776-b0fe-de052dd596fd1033.mspx?mfr=true

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Jim" <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi,

I've set up a wireless network. Whenever I start Windows or remove the
adapter and reconnect it, Windows Vista cannot re-establish the connection
automatically. It was working fine till recently. But not any more. On the
router I've disabled SSID and from what I can understand vista or the
adapter
isn't broadcasting to re-establish that connection. Under Manage wireless
networks I have the SSID appearing three times ie: MyWirelessNet ,
MyWirelessNet 2, MyWirelessNet 3. In the properties of these, the
connection
settings are all checked. I wont to correct this problem without having to
broadcast the SSID on the router.

Thank you,
Jim

  • Re: Setting Up Network Security
    ... I currently have Broadcast SSID set to disabled ... I have two computers able to access the network through MAC Filter ... how can I secure the wireless network more? ... I want to set the encryption to WPA2 - PSK with AES (I know the PSK is ...
  • Re: Setting Up Network Security
    ... I currently have Broadcast SSID set to disabled ... I have two computers able to access the network through MAC Filter ... how can I secure the wireless network more? ... I want to set the encryption to WPA2 - PSK with AES (I know the PSK is ...
  • Re: Setting Up Network Security
    ... I currently have Broadcast SSID set to disabled ... I have two computers able to access the network through MAC Filter ... how can I secure the wireless network more? ... I want to set the encryption to WPA2 - PSK with AES (I know the PSK is ...
  • Re: PPC2003 Wifi - Non broadcasting SSIDs
    ... You can connect to an AP that is not broadcasting a SSID. ... I am trying to get a new PDA to work with a Wi-Fi network. ... > configured to connect to a Wireless network that does not broadcast SSIDs. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless)
  • Re: Security issues with regards to wireless networks...
    ... can a wireless network be configured so that it behaves ... You may want to enable WEP encryption on the wireless network and change ... SSID is changed on a periodic basis. ... I do think there is some kind of documentation on wireless security, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)