Re: Can't connect Remote Desktop between Vista and XP.

On Fri, 23 May 2008 12:59:40 -0500, dbacs <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Since XP prompted you for credentials for the Vista machine, we know
that the machines are communicating with each other. At that prompt,
enter the same user name and password that you use when you log on to
the Vista machine at its local keyboard.

To use Remote Desktop, your account must have a password. It isn't
possible to connect remotely using an account that doesn't have a
password.

Is there a software firewall (Norton, McAfee, ZoneAlarm, etc) on
either computer? If so, configure it to allow Remote Desktop
connections.

Hi,

Ok i guess here's where i messed up during setup. I did not setup a
password or user name on either computer, because I am the only user.
How do i back-track and setup a username/password for the network on
both the vista and xp. FYI, i'd like to control each computer with the
other through remote desktop.

I do not have software firewall, unless its installed in my router.
Which i believe i have forwarded the correct ports, anyway. I am using
windows in-built xp and vista firewalls.

You have a user name on each computer, which you can see in Control
Panel > User Accounts. That's also where you can create a password
for your user account.

A software firewall can't be installed in your router, and there's no
reason to set up port forwarding in your router.

Make sure that the exception for Remote Desktop is enabled in the
Windows Firewall on each computer.

Go to Control Panel > Security Center and make sure that it show
Windows Firewall as the only firewall.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

  • Re: GPO for Remote Desktop and Firewall Settings
    ... Remote Desktop has to be enabled on the target computer and appropriate user ... This is independant of any Firewall ... These settings will work with computers running Windows 2000 SP2 or later, ... > Windows Firewall: ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy)
  • Re: Unable to Network WinXP Home PC
    ... "Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associted ... start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see ... Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. ...
  • Re: Question on port forwarding and Remote Desktop
    ... Remote Desktop via the Internet. ... My questions - must you do this for both your router and the Windows ... The windows firewall has to have the port set as an an exception, ...
  • Re: SP2 - Netmeeting remote desktop
    ... > netmeeting remote desktop to access some remote XP ... If I turn off the firewall, ... Troubleshooting Windows Firewall in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 ...
  • Re: Wireless networking XP Pro to XP Home
    ... but i do not wish to create identical user accounts on both computers as the HOME computer is used for my whole family and has 7 user accounts on it... ... You do not need to disable the NIS Firewall; you need to configure it correctly. ... NIS disabled the Windows Firewall but you need to check from Control ... Or simply disable Simple File Sharing on the XP Pro machine as previously suggested. ...