Re: Computer Browser Service not working

For troubleshooting, you may try to clean boot. Please post back with the result.
Windows general
How to run Windows OS with a clean boot · How to Run Windows Safe Mode with Networking · How to setup DHCP for IP Phone How to sort programs in Start ...
www.howtonetworking.com/Windows/windowsgeneral.htm

"dnr" <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:4715492D-CB32-4CA0-9248-5A12A5FBF7A8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have a network consisting of 2-Vista Ultimate 32bit, 2-XP Professional 32
bit and 1- Xbox 360.
All systems show all other boxes on the network, except for one of the Vista
systems We will call it X). If you open View Computers and Devices on X it
shows the Vista systems, and the XBox, and two media systems (one being X)
but not either of the XP Computers(both with SP3 and thus the finding XP
boxes patch). If you wait awhile (2 minutes) they finally show up, but then
disappear 10-15 minutes later.
For example is you start a copy from the Vista box to the XP box of a large
file, it fails after say 10 minutes, however Media Player rips CDs to the XP
box without any trouble
On X (the Vista box that is having the problem):
Computer Browser service does not show up in services.msc It is just not
there. (Everything about scvhosts.exe seems to be fine.)
The Registry has the right entries for both "browser" and "Browser."
"browser.dll" is present in windows/system32
Command net service browser returns “invalid service name”
I am assuming that this is a “computer browser” service issue. How do I
figure out what is preventing this service from starting?

  • Re: Vista Ready for the big time? From Yahoo News
    ... Networking: Vista networking is a sore spot with a number of Microsoft's ... "The network panel is a nightmare if you attempt to do anything mildly ... Fla.-based PlanetX64/PlanetAMD64 Windows community sites. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Ready to Drop Kick Your PC?
    ... Troubleshooting a computer feels intimidating. ... But when the problem evolved into crippling Windows ... cook CPUs, lock up graphics cards, and render disk drives inoperative. ... Hey, computers may never be 100 percent reliable, but maybe they're ...
    (misc.consumers)
  • Re: TOT: Windows 8.1 issue
    ... It's this annoyance feature of winXP above all else that leads me to ... from windows). ... If you hit networking issues in ME, in most cases, the strategy of ... The later SP1 cured Vista of most of its ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)
  • Re: Connecting to Windows Vista?
    ... Vista machine in a local network? ... This evening I succeeded in configuring Windows Vista to allow transfer ... is slightly more complex than Windows XP networking. ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.networking)
  • Re: windows xp home versus windows xp professional vs vista
    ... networking differences.Thank you ... Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional Edition are comparable ... Compare the different versions of Vista here: ... one of you trying to play an online game - yeah - I'd expect lag. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)