Re: Complete freeze of Vista 32bit upon accessing certain jpg/avi files

Since you have diagnosed HDD problems I think it's safe to say that you
need to confirm those findings and either repair or start backing up the
HDD with the view of replacing it.

Random freezes on a suspected HDD with bad sectors is time for action.

exemplify;952134 Wrote:
Hello!

I have had several problems on a Sony Vaio with Vista freezing, and
managed to get rid of most of them by disabling Superfetch, Windows
Search and indexing services. However, a few still persist, namely this
one: whenever I attempt to copy/paste a folder containing pictures and
short .avis to another location, the copy window appears and promptly
ceases to respond, and the entire system winds up deep freezing within
about 20 seconds (only option is the power button to escape this). I can
recreate this also by simply selecting all the files in said folder and
clicking the 'Details' tab in the Properties window. This same sort of
freeze happens when attempting to un/install MS Visual C++ 2008, as the
system froze and required a reset during installation. -Edit-: it also
occurs when opening documents with MS Office.

All drivers are up to date.

Things I have tried so far:
-disabling thumbnails
-uninstalling all 3rd party codecs

Side note: I have discovered through several HDD diagnostic tools that
there are a few bad sectors on the HDD, and I am not qualified to
understand if there might be a connection there. I'm looking to back up
all my files and replace the HDD, but this problem makes it difficult.

I apologize if I've left out something obvious I needed to include!
Thanks very much!
~Ryan

--
Clevo

___________________________
Windows Vista Home Premium x64 + SP1
ASUS P5K MB
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
4GB RAM (DDR2)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
Realtek HD onboard sound

Helpful links:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/3d0c5a49-8f61-45cc-8a7d-38c4695ba9291033.mspx#EEE

  • Re: Index.dat file is almost 9MB, and it takes a long time to writ
    ... BUT, if the disk drive volume FDS is only 600Mb, ... number of central and related issues that have long existed in Windows OS's, ... on one and only one sticky-note, and then only the particular sticky-note ... "if you have one HDD, you only have one storage volume"). ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: How do I move files to my new PC?
    ... 'everything' from his old computer running Windows 98. ... Unfortunately he does not have all of his installation CD-ROMs. ... whether they are formatted FAT32 or NTFS. ... is going to cause problems (20 gbyte HDD is 70% full). ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: XP wont start, Cant use CD drive HeLp!! PLEASE!
    ... Instead of restarting it goes to the windows logo screen for about 4 ... Safe mode with networking ... I have tried putting that in BOTH of my CD rom drives and nothing ... a secondary HDD on a working system is a good one. ...
  • RE: XP Pro boot hanging
    ... Digital HDD, for Sager laptop; using Acronis True Image 11, boot disk. ... Neither drive will boot into Windows. ... I checked drives ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Clean install of Windows 2000 Professional
    ... Then, if the HDD ... like to place the OS on one partition and data on another. ... format and continue to install the OS. ... | Not clear for clean install of Windows 2000 Professional: ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)