Re: Problem burning .avi to DVD

MaryAnn wrote:
I use Cyberlink Suite to burn dvds with Vista Ultimate OS. I have no
problem with all the .avi files burning to disc except for those I
download from a movie site.

When I try to burn an .avi movie I get the message: "Failure to add
video file.------title of file-------. This video file type is not
What is missing? Why only these particular .avi files? I looked
into CODEC but I don't understand how it applies to this file or
Maybe the movie files are DivX or Xvid...
(these can be quite stubborn to work with)
This can be verified by using the freeware

GSpot Codec Identifier

GSpot Super Quick Start

Best bet (believe it or not) would be to purchase
a DVD player that is compatible with DivX and
Xvid movie files.

Then you do not have to create a Video DVD...
all you have to do is create a Data DVD which
means you can burn several movies on one disk...
If the movie file size is not more that 700 MBs
you can even burn them on a Data CD.

Here's an example of a DVD player that will play
the files.

Philips DVP5990
(this one plays DivX and Xvid...some only play DivX)

John Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

This is not tech support
I am a volunteer