Re: Problem burning .avi to DVD

MaryAnn wrote:
I use Cyberlink Suite to burn dvds with Vista Ultimate OS. I have no
problem with all the .avi files burning to disc except for those I
download from a movie site.

When I try to burn an .avi movie I get the message: "Failure to add
video file.------title of file-------. This video file type is not
supported."
What is missing? Why only these particular .avi files? I looked
into CODEC but I don't understand how it applies to this file or
burning.
Thanks........MaryAnn
===================================
Maybe the movie files are DivX or Xvid...
(these can be quite stubborn to work with)
This can be verified by using the freeware
GSpot:

GSpot Codec Identifier
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/download.html

GSpot Super Quick Start
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html

Best bet (believe it or not) would be to purchase
a DVD player that is compatible with DivX and
Xvid movie files.

Then you do not have to create a Video DVD...
all you have to do is create a Data DVD which
means you can burn several movies on one disk...
If the movie file size is not more that 700 MBs
you can even burn them on a Data CD.

Here's an example of a DVD player that will play
the files.

Philips DVP5990
http://tinyurl.com/c93uom
or...
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVP5990-1080p-Upscaling-Player/dp/B00158OJ9O/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1233121374&sr=8-2
(this one plays DivX and Xvid...some only play DivX)

--

John Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

  • Re: ultra-wideband FM
    ... half the movie, then cut out. ... Use DVD+,as DVD+ allwos you to intrrupt the burning process ... Burn at a slow speed to get very good quality, ... C4 and C5 transmits westerns several times a week here FTA on satellite. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: DVD burner not recognized by WMM
    ... My dual CD/DVD burner shows as a CD drive in Explorer also... ... the recording option is unchecked. ... Movie Maker, I have to check the option. ... There is a selection to burn the movie created ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker)
  • Re: which is better
    ... just like you; so I got them to burn it for me when I ... I'm doing a movie so I stepped ... I'm NOT GOING to delete Carrara 5.1!!! ... | Ken Kubos wrote: ...
    (comp.graphics.animation)
  • DOWNLOAD .MPEG .MPG .AVI MOVIES - MOVIE CLUB NETWORK
    ... DOWNLOAD AND BURN DVD'S ... movie time scheduals world wide... ... Shanghai Surprise movie online ...
    (rec.video.dvd.titles)
  • Re: Where is DV-AVI option??
    ... to select the file type at the saving part. ... I have never tried to burn a cd ... as unless the movie is only a couple of minutes long it wouldn't fit anyway. ... If you want to burn dv-avi to cd, then save your movie to the pc as a dv-avi ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.video)