Re: mp3 cd won't play in car

With Vista when creating a CD or DVD you can create a Master (finalized format) or a CD/DVD that can have files added to it live File system format.
Here is some info about the options
"Understanding the difference between the Live File System and Mastered disc formats
If you have burned CDs using Windows XP, you are already familiar with the Mastered format. The latest version of Windows offers a new format, called Live File System. Discs that use the Live File System format are often more convenient because you can copy selected files immediately and as often as you want, as if the disc were a floppy disc or USB flash drive. On the other hand, Live File System discs can't be used in all computers and devices. Use this guide to understand the difference between Live File System and Mastered discs:

Discs formatted with the Live File System option:
Work like a USB flash drive or floppy disk, meaning you can copy files to disc immediately without having to burn them.

Are convenient if you want to keep a disc in the burn drive and copy files whenever the need arises.

Are only compatible with Windows XP and later versions of Windows.

Discs formatted with the Mastered option:
Don't copy files immediately, meaning you need to select the entire collection of files that you want to copy to the disc, and then burn them all at once.

Are convenient if you want to burn a large collection of files, such as a music CD.

Are compatible with older computers and devices such as CD players and DVD players.

Why are there different versions of the Live File System format?
Each version of the Live File System format is compatible with different operating systems. Depending on which computers you plan to use a disc in, you might need to select a different version of Live File System. If you plan to use your disc on the latest version of Windows, however, you will never need to change the version of Live File System you use. If you need to make discs that are compatible with earlier versions of Windows, use the table below to select the right Live File System version for your needs:

The following table describes Live File System versions and their appropriate uses.
"

"VistaIsTickingMeOFF" <VistaIsTickingMeOFF.3lnn0c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:VistaIsTickingMeOFF.3lnn0c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Zach:

First of all the Car System is in 2007 Dodge Durango, which is new, a
Blue Ray Player which plays Music CDs and MP3 CDs which was manufactured
last year and was purchased for a Xmas gift this last year. So the age
of the equipment is NOT the Issue. The issue is that XP did finalize CDs
when you used the OS to create the CDs where VISTA is not, want proof
anyone try... Simply copy mp3 files to a Record Only or R/W CD and
close the session.... Try this on both an XP and Vista box. In XP you
could finalize the cd by closing the session using drag drop and close,
try this is VISTA.... Then take both CDs and try to play them in a
system that will read data CDs such a car systems that support MP3 or
home DVD or Blue Ray Players...given I am not the only one who has ran
into this issue, I would say the feature changed in VISTA... Oh and we
are not just talking about WMP but the OS, you know the burning feature.
It changed between XP and Vista... If you really want proof just keep
making excuses it is not hard to run a decoder on the CDs after issuing
the close session from both XP and Vista....

Of course applications that are written to use IMAPI will finalize
CDs...

'zachd [MSFT Wrote:
;1127237']Chill, it's an atmosphere of love.

So you're saying you have a very old car audio system that doesn't
support
nonfinalized CDs? I can't imagine any modern CD decks not supporting
nonfinalized CDs.
If you want to FORCE closure/finalization, fill the CD. Until that
point,
it would seem to be logical ~not~ to finalize the CD.

The finalization/non-finalization of CDs is a feature of IMAPI and is
identical between XP and Vista.

So your options:
* get a modern CD deck; or
* fill the CD; or
* use something that explicitly allows finalization such as Nero

WMP has never ever offered some Finalize checkbox. This is an artifact
of
CD Burning and has nothing to do with MP3. The same thing (non-closure
of
non-full-ish CDs) would happen if you burned WMA, MID, DOC, or crackers
your CD. "Anti-mp3" conspiracy theory upon this subject is of course
ludicrous. The devs behind MP3 are good people and I've glad to have
personally worked with them. Please don't let your having old CD
hardware
when using a *basic* burning service lead you to invent fake drama
between
people that respect each other. I'll say I like them, but I don't want
presume the feeling is mutual, even though I have Christmas cards
downstairs
from them. =)

Anyways, you have three options listed above that should sort you out.
And,
as noted, this has never been a Windows feature ever, so it's not like
anything changed here. =)

Cheers,
-Zach
See 'WMP FAQ: A trouble-shooting guide for Windows Media Player
problems.' (http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html) for some helpful WMP info.
rights.
--
"VistaIsTickingMeOFF"
<VistaIsTickingMeOFF.3llwk2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

> Oscar:
>
> Apparently you don't know the difference between reading and jumping
> conclusions. Audio files take more CD space, but maybe your not aware
of
> that. MP3 compression allows for more files per CD... DUH! I am
talking
> about creating an MP3 CD using VISTA which does not close sessions
such
> devices like DVD players, car audio systems use them... READ THE
> THREAD.... So it is a VISTA ISSUE!!!!
>
> Try you see! I have talked with 10 other Vista users and they all
> report the same thing... It does not work unless you use third party
> software. So like I said I paid more to upgrade from XP to an OS with
> less features!!!
>
> You got it OSCAR.....?????:mad:
>

> oscar;1125982 Wrote:
>> According to your heading and your post, it appears that you do not
know
>> the
>> dfference between mp3 and audio files.
>>
>> WMP can easily create audio cd's that are useable in car cd players.
>> do
>> it all the time.
>>
>> This appears to be a user problem and not a Vista problem.
>>
>> Vista is an operating system which allows software such as WMP to
>> integrate
>> with the hardware. If you have a problem creating audio CD's you
should
>> be
>> looking at the software that converts the MP3 to audio or the
hardware
>> involved.
>>
>> Your post name, "VistaIsTickingMe Off", suggests that you would
better
>> serve
>> yourself by reading a thick book on how Vista and its features work
so
>> you
>> won't get confused by such simple tasks as creating an audio CD.
>> --
>> oscar :)
>>
>> ....Right click is your very good friend...
>>

>> "VistaIsTickingMeOFF" wrote:
>>

>> > You said it, I cannot believe Microsoft would stoop so low, this I
am
>> > sure was by design... you know MP3 was not their format to begin
with
>> so
>> > why support this going forward.... I paid more for their new OS
Cause