Re: Issues With Vista/Sound Card

MervR;929594 Wrote:
Clevo;929448 Wrote:
You work in The industry and have had Vista for a year and you are only
discoverint this now?

For recording and Archiving and distribution (syndication) Netia is the
industry standard. (if you have the budget).

Audacity, a popular free software, works on Vista and you can get
around Vista's recording "what you hear" problem. But if you work in the
industry you would appreciate this is the inferior way to record for
archiving or re-broadcast. You are allowing to much line noise.

Invest in a Sound card...

CSCulwellV1;596244 Wrote:
I bought my laptop, featuring windows vista, about a year ago. During
that
time, I have noticed two things I could do on my older computer that
had XP
but can't do on Vista. (a) I cannot listen to anything I record into my
computer while recording it. I have to record, then listen back. (b) I
cannot
record anything that is playing on my computer.

I read somewhere about copyright issues or something, but I work in the
radio business, so I use my laptop for audio recording all the time.
When you
are recording an hour or longer broadcast for re-airing or for archive
purposes, it really sucks if the audio doesn't record right, something
you
fix if you were able to here it during recording. Does anybody know
anyway to
fix this problem?> > > > > >
MervR
Hi Clevo,
I'm not the guy who initiated the first query. I have only just
bought my laptop and discovered the problem within minutes. I've been
searching for a fix for over a week.
You're the first person I've come across who has indicated that there
might be a way of overcoming Vista's "What You Here" issue. How can it
be done.
I'm using Adobe Audition, a program that is used extensively in
Community Radio where bugets are limited. In order to "bounce" one
track to another in a multitracking format, it is essential to be able
to record the sound you are hearing on playback. This doesn't seem
possible with Vista.
I'll be happy if you can tell me how to get the old "Stereo Mix"
control or something similar into Vista.
Regards,
MervR

Sorry Merv if I came across huffy.... You can indeed get around the
record "what you hear" with Audacity

Try Audacity and the link is to one of their FAQ's

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=recording&i=streaming

--
Clevo

___________________________
Windows Vista Home Premium x64 + SP1
ASUS P5K MB
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
4GB RAM (DDR2)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
Realtek HD onboard sound

Helpful links:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/3d0c5a49-8f61-45cc-8a7d-38c4695ba9291033.mspx#EEE

  • Re: Issues With Vista/Sound Card
    ... You work in The industry and have had Vista for a year and you are only ... For recording and Archiving and distribution Netia is the ... Audacity, a popular free software, works on Vista and you can get ...
  • Re: And the leader in input devices is...
    ... > No, I mean the industry that ignored the GUI, the mouse, and the iPod. ... None of those things were invented by Apple, ... >> I'm not the guy who's chomping at the bit for Vista. ... >> Thanks for sharing your view from within the RDF. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: OT - Price drop on Vista
    ... It's not like they didn't see Vista coming - they just aren't bothered updating the drivers. ... And Vista's hardware model is substantially improved on previous versions, so you can't simply use older drivers. ... software layer to translate Direct Sound calls to Open Audio Layer calls. ... "To take from one, because it is thought his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare others who have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association: the guarantee to everyone the free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it." ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action)
  • Re: And the leader in input devices is...
    ... >>> You mean the idustry that ignored Apple's PPC designs and built ... >> No, I mean the industry that ignored the GUI, the mouse, and the iPod. ... I see some great potential for comedy i Vista. ... >>> Thanks for sharing your view from within the RDF. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Windows Vista - worst OS yet?
    ... The media industry lobbies the computer industry to implement ... TMI pushes again, saying "In Vista, put in some really good DRM". ... hardware includes protection that the software must use. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)