CP problem with media player with generic monitor

Vista 32bit sp1:

Main monitor is a older CRT and I have disabled EDID (with needle nose
pliers) in order to get the high resolution I need in vista. The problem
with this is that when in clone mode (with a flat panel tv) media player
refuses to play DVDs due to content protection. I think this is a built in
restriction with monitors that won't plug and play, in this case my generic
monitor, not the tv. I think they are afraid my unknown monitor could be a
high speed DVD reproduction robot, ha! The fix is to use VLC. Seems a shame
though. Either they should fix the resolution lockdown on monitors, or fix
the content protection chain nonsense. Can any of the experts here comment
on this stuff?
.