Re: Vista MCE Recorded videos - 704x480

Thanks.. That's what I've read however I don't buy it.. Lot's of
speculation and theories but no offical word about this.. The file size is
nowhere near what would be required to record 1 hour of HD content.. I
believe MCE is downconverting the recordings to SD. I get 2GB for 1 hour of
video and this is consistent with 480p recordings.. Unless Microsoft steps
up and addresses this issue I'm going to conclude that MCE is incapable of
recording HD content.. TiVo, BTW, looks fantastic... except it takes a very
long time to get the content from the TiVo to the PC.. But the quality is
much better than MCE so far..

Bryan

"Curious" wrote:

AFAIK it is a bug in the creation of the file properties the creation of
which were apparently never updated since the first release of MC.
"Bryan" <Bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I've just recently started toying with MCE and have discovered an issue
that
appears to be widely reported on the internet but no one has a answer or
solution.

I have an Avermedia HC82 Express Card ATSC tuner. It works well with
MCE..
I am receiving HD content via OTA Broadcast antenna. I have a newer
laptop, wsxga display, Core2Duo processor, 4GB ram..

When I record a show, which works fine, but then look at the file
properties
of the recording it always says 704x480. This is not HD.

I've been through the MCE settings many times and my monitor is set to the
laptop display WSXGA (1680x1050) and the recording quality is set to BEST.
The content I am receiving is HD and it looks great however the recorded
videos are not. One hour of video is 2GB.. (another indicator this is
not
HD ).. I expect 1 hour of 720p or 1080i content to be around 5GB. Most
posts I've found agree with this.

Most references to this problem I've found state this is a bug with
Windows
and that the videos are not actually 704x480 but that there's a problem
with
how Windows reports the video resolution of it's own recordings. But
there
is no real definitive answer to this yet and no information in MSFT's KB
(not
surprising) about this problem.. 2GB file for 1 hour video is not HD
quality and is more in line with the 704x480 resolution being reported.

Why doesn't Windows MCE record in true HD? How can I get MCE to record
true HD?

I have a HD TiVo and when I transfer HD recordings to my PC using TiVo
desktop, one hour of 1920x1080 content is 5GB..

I had planned to scrap my TiVO and go with a MCE/Extender solution but
with
this bug I am reluctant to rely on MCE to be honest with me.. ;)

Bryan

  • Re: Recorded TV content playback has studdering/choppy video (audi
    ... WebUPdate that could effect MCE since they are often quite out of date. ... Update for Windows XP ... Update for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 ... sharing the same IRQ as the video card. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • HD and Digital Cable for America 2004. or at least MCE 2005!
    ... I understand that almost everyone wants HD support in the next version ... or update of MCE. ... Optimizing Video Quality for Windows XP ... bit-rate stream in the MPEG-2 video format. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: HDTV and Digital Cable Support for America 2004... or at least for "MCE 2005"
    ... be able to feed MCE through the 1394 interface. ... Regarding some of your comments about Microsoft's support of 1394, ... Graphics hardware, including graphics acceleration hardware and the ... the tuner can be removed from the video processing ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Clunky playback of recorded & live TV
    ... Says I'm running the NVIDIA Video Decoder v4020.150.0.0 and it's MCE Compatible and my Preferred Decoder. ... Looks like i'm not using the latest audio driver... ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Play XBox on my PC
    ... If you're using MCE you should be able to hook it up. ... video device for viewing on your Media Center PC. ... Windows XP Media Center menu is displayed. ... new PCs to take to the dorm room, and they want to bring along the XBox ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)