Re: Vista MCE Recorded videos - 704x480

AFAIK it is a bug in the creation of the file properties the creation of which were apparently never updated since the first release of MC.
"Bryan" <Bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:3348CA6C-1538-4E72-9E89-C895B68536C0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've just recently started toying with MCE and have discovered an issue that
appears to be widely reported on the internet but no one has a answer or
solution.

I have an Avermedia HC82 Express Card ATSC tuner. It works well with MCE..
I am receiving HD content via OTA Broadcast antenna. I have a newer
laptop, wsxga display, Core2Duo processor, 4GB ram..

When I record a show, which works fine, but then look at the file properties
of the recording it always says 704x480. This is not HD.

I've been through the MCE settings many times and my monitor is set to the
laptop display WSXGA (1680x1050) and the recording quality is set to BEST.
The content I am receiving is HD and it looks great however the recorded
videos are not. One hour of video is 2GB.. (another indicator this is not
HD ).. I expect 1 hour of 720p or 1080i content to be around 5GB. Most
posts I've found agree with this.

Most references to this problem I've found state this is a bug with Windows
and that the videos are not actually 704x480 but that there's a problem with
how Windows reports the video resolution of it's own recordings. But there
is no real definitive answer to this yet and no information in MSFT's KB (not
surprising) about this problem.. 2GB file for 1 hour video is not HD
quality and is more in line with the 704x480 resolution being reported.

Why doesn't Windows MCE record in true HD? How can I get MCE to record
true HD?

I have a HD TiVo and when I transfer HD recordings to my PC using TiVo
desktop, one hour of 1920x1080 content is 5GB..

I had planned to scrap my TiVO and go with a MCE/Extender solution but with
this bug I am reluctant to rely on MCE to be honest with me.. ;)

Bryan

  • HD and Digital Cable for America 2004. or at least MCE 2005!
    ... I understand that almost everyone wants HD support in the next version ... or update of MCE. ... Optimizing Video Quality for Windows XP ... bit-rate stream in the MPEG-2 video format. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: HDTV and Digital Cable Support for America 2004... or at least for "MCE 2005"
    ... be able to feed MCE through the 1394 interface. ... Regarding some of your comments about Microsoft's support of 1394, ... Graphics hardware, including graphics acceleration hardware and the ... the tuner can be removed from the video processing ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Clunky playback of recorded & live TV
    ... Says I'm running the NVIDIA Video Decoder v4020.150.0.0 and it's MCE Compatible and my Preferred Decoder. ... Looks like i'm not using the latest audio driver... ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Play XBox on my PC
    ... If you're using MCE you should be able to hook it up. ... video device for viewing on your Media Center PC. ... Windows XP Media Center menu is displayed. ... new PCs to take to the dorm room, and they want to bring along the XBox ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Wow
    ... STB but it also enables the receiver to pass back channel change commands ... If this is true then once MCE provides the support for an ATSC TV ... > MCE's video processing chain. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)