AVI Codecs that worked for me

Having got a screen capture (video recorder) program and recording video with
it I found the recorded AVI file would not play on Vista WMP11, the sound was
great but no picture. So I tried the same avi file on XP and it showed the
video and played the sound perfectly. As did Nero's showtime on Vista. So I
was then forced to investigate and came to the correct diagnosis of Video
Codec. After hearing of the Vista Codec Package
(http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Codec-Packs-Video-Codecs/Advanced-Vista-Codec-Package.shtml)
and K-Lite Pack (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_lite_codec_pack.htm) I
downloaded/installed them but still no luck. I then tried the following:

http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/

http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

ffdshow worked fine on its own but not xvid on its own. I
downloaded/installed the two though because of the good compression
(encoding) achieved by the video recorder with both installed. As said,
k-lite and video codecs did nothing for me, whereas I have heard they work
perfectly for other people.

Although in my case I was using a screen recorder, as opposed to having a
normal scenario with WMP11, I hope the above comments help and more precisely
the ffdshow and/or xvid codecs help.

Kind Regards

John

  • Re: Vista & WM11 wont play some (most) wma files that XP PC can p
    ... The file reviewed did NOT have a video component. ... A Vista PC Home Premium with WM11 and an external shared network hard ... The file audio codec is: ... "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: WMP 11 problem with streaming video on Vista
    ... I am also facing same problem, It's seem that problem happend with vista ... decode and codec but not useful. ... window (toolbar player) there seems no requirement for the graphics ... typically overlays and/or directX video ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: HELP needed sending video to DVD recorder
    ... I think your problem is getting the video out of the PC to the TV. ... To watch VCDs,SVCDs and DVDs it is best to use a standalone DVD Player ... set-top DVD recorder, you're stumped. ... Write-once discs are the most ...
    (rec.video.desktop)
  • Re: Vista MCE is a POS....
    ... running any other codec, but what is supplied with Vista... ... In fact the codec supplied with Vista plays files excellent... ... and back to the root folder again, using the remote or mouse Both ... Video Library... ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: xbox 360 extender video artifacts
    ... I have a Vista Ultimate computer running an XBOX 360 extender. ... up to the video) video before the video will run correctly. ... new SATA II 500GB drive and was using that as the recorder storage ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)