Re: WMP11 does not play asf files, missing Sharp G.726 Audio codec

I do not care much of Media Foundation codeces. I think WMP should play ASF
without renaming it to ASX. My Irfanview for instance can play those files
without need for renaming. The question is NOT in codeces. The WMP seems to
be crapware. I want that Microsoft makes a fix for the problem. Under Windows
XP everything is fine! Vista + WMP sucks!

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

As far as I'm aware, Sharp doesn't have a Media Foundation codec available,
so this is expected. If Sharp provided a Media Foundation compatible G.726
codec, then this would work. =\

"Sults" <eesnimi.perenimi@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
When I try to watch videos recorded with my camcorder in ASF format, I
will
get following WMP11 error message:
"An audio codec is needed to play this file. To determine if this codec is
available to download from the Web, click Web Help."

If I press Web Help button, I will be directed to the web page, that gives
me following information:
"Windows Media Player cannot play the file (or cannot play either the
audio
or video portion of the file) because the Sharp G.726 Audio (45) codec is
not
installed on your computer."

But as soon as I rename file to ASX, the WMP11 plays file correctly. On my
other computer (Windows XP) I can watch those videos without problems.
What's wrong with WMP11 on Vista?

  • Re: SOME mp3 files dont play in Windows Media Player - others pla
    ... previous PC used a different, more fault tolerant, codec to play the files ... over the years with any version of WMP. ... I finally noticed that the track play times displayed in Explorer were ... MP3 CODECs are all 3rd party products and those ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • WMP wont play visuals on any avis - W98SE and WMP ver 9
    ... and did a virgin install of everything. ... me there is an error in downloading a codec, ... CLJR is needed to play the file. ... ALL file types which can be played with WMP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: Media player 11 - vista - m4a files
    ... It should be possible to play most m4a files in WMP 11 using ... one of the various AAC codecs (e.g. the Orban one mentioned below, ... AAC codec, there is exactly ONE directshow filter which can play Apple ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: .MPG file wont play - AC3 codec doesnt work
    ... WMP v10 on Dell Latitude D620 ... After going to the Internet to acquire a codec, ... "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. ... search for the AC3 Audio codec, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia)
  • Re: C00D 1199 Windows Media Player MP3 file
    ... > So is there some MPEG1 codec I need to get? ... How can real play it perfect ... > and WMP not? ... >> Josh Mitts ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)