Constant Hang during "Import Video"

No matter what I try, the Vista "Import Video" window hangs forever.

Here's what happens:

I plug in my capture device into the firewire port of my Dell laptop, then
AutoPlay pops up and says:

"Digital Video Device"

Device Options

Import Video <<-- (this is what I choose)

Capture video (If I choose this, it doesn't work)

Start Encoding"

Next window comes up: "Import Video

Name: xxx

Import to: (folder)

Format Windows Media Video (single file)
WMV (about 2 GB per hour)"

I press Next, then the new window says: "Import Video

Import the entire videotape to my computer

Import the entire videotape and then burn it to a DVD

Only import parts of the videotape to my computer" <<-- This is what I choose

Then I press "Next", and then it hangs forever
(the window title bar shows: "Import Video (not responding))

I've tried everything, including registry repair and running Iolo's System
Mechanic 7, but it still hangs every time. One key fact, though, is that
this worked PERFECTLY two days ago!

I'm a knowlegeable user, so please bear that in mind in your replies.

Thank you for your help!

  • Re: DOS windowed session not working
    ... this was another seen thing on this 'new' Depot serviced mainboard I'm dealing with DOS VDM irregularities in an earlier thread here. ... I noticed that although the Scitech video configuration window did have all the screen font change options and color depth selection, the monitor selection panel was blank. ... So in reading the complete installation notes for MCP2 that you can get from the help pane in the troubleshooting, ...
    (comp.os.os2.bugs)
  • Re: playing video on second display
    ... Option A (assumes player skin present on monitor, just no video showing up): ... Here's one way to get a video fullscreen on one monitor & the WMP window ... Vista has an updated display model which is more reliant on DirectX ... Possibly there would be similar settings supplied by the setup for ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia)
  • Re: Opening in a web site
    ... sections (one for each chapter in the video with start and duration times ... chapters on the right side of their Windows Media Player window that they ... >>> code and it should work fine with the newer embedding code above. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia)
  • Re: CMD/DOS problems
    ... It's downloading. ... That's racing analysis software. ... Can it run in a window. ... > have Video writing options. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Video snapshot is not captured with bitblt sometimes
    ... the paint window around the screen, the image was only an overlay and was not ... than one DV file and the others do seem to render, ... I don't know how other video hardware handle this situation, ... When you pause are you able to capture ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.gdi)