Tagging photos between Vista and XP

All of our photos are on a "server" running XP, and are usually viewed on an
HTPC running MCE 2005 in the living room. My wife has a laptop with Vista
and has taken on the project of organizing and tagging years of photos with
Photo Gallery. The photos all remain on the XP box.

My question is, where are the tags saved? Are they written into the jpg
itself, or are they maintained in a database somewhere? If we upgrade the
HTPC in the living room to Vista, will it be able to read the tags she
created on the laptop for photos that remain on the XP box?

She is finding that while tagging is fast enough for individual photos, if
she tags a batch of photos opened off of the server it takes a very long time
to process. Is there any way to speed it up? She doesn't want to copy jpgs
to the laptop, tag them, then copy back to the server because it is very easy
to get confused about what has been tagged and what hasn't. Is it a simply
matter of improving network speed by plugging in

Ian

  • Front Row and pervasive media (long)
    ... Will it be possible to Fast User Switch using just a Front Row remote? ... - play DVDs and video in the lounge. ... The central server stores all the music, videos and photos. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: server file deletion
    ... Click the Type dropdown arrow and set the filters to only show image types ... These are on both the server and the computer. ... I publish sets of photos, like 'Memorial Day' on my site by ... The meta data on the remote site may be out of synch with that on the ...
  • Re: frustration with digital photos
    ... server to hold all my memories. ... I have over 1000+ images of my life over the last 8+ years there and ... There is no perfect fail safe way to keep photos. ... All the storage limits and ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Lost as can be
    ... could scroll down and see each of the fields in each record. ... We also have a section with a LOT of photos and members can upload ... I don't know if Access can store pictures in JPG or if I will need ... Server 2000 but my server was getting a bit long in the tooth so I built a ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol)
  • Re: frustration with digital photos
    ... server to hold all my memories. ... I store my photos on three different HDs in three different computers, and upload most of them to Webshots. ... All the storage limits and ...
    (rec.photo.digital)