Re: WMF/JPEG Thumbnails won't show

pandora wrote:
I am unable to get my hundreds of pieces of wmf & jpeg clipart pieces
to show as thumbnails, only as a generic program file (Usually
Paintbrush). My previous three computers had no problems with the
clipart.
I have:
- Unchecked "always show as icons.."
- Messed with folder options
- Spent 35 minutes on remote assist with Dell- they say Vista sees
these files as some sort of spyware.
- Done the Vista Forum tutorials for turning thumbnails on/off
- Tried changing the registry

I need to be able to quickly see what all the theumbnails are and not
have to click individually.

Any advice would be appreciated.
===================================
Have a look at the following article:

Why can I not view the thumbnails for WMF files
in Vista like I was able to in Windows XP?
http://thevistaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=25399

You should be able to view your .wmf thumbs
with the freeware IrfanView. Once you have the
program downloaded and installed open it and
go to...File / Thumbnails...(or just type T ) then
browse to the files you wish to view.

IrfanView Graphic Viewer
http://www.software.com/irfanview
(get the plug-ins too)
http://www.software.com/irfanview-plugin

As for the JPEG thumbs...maybe the following
link will be useful:

File association fixes for Windows Vista
http://tinyurl.com/2xsewp
or...
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/File-association-fixes-for-Windows-Vista.html

--

John Inzer
MS Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

  • Re: Thumbnails unnecessarily regenerating in Vista...
    ... The problem is that Vista REGENERATES a thumbnail for EVERY SINGLE file ... when you open the containing folder. ... has another central location in which it keeps thumbnails for files. ... REGENERATE thumbnails when it supposedly has already done this? ...
  • Re: Your Vista Tips and Tweaks
    ... Dell Vista installs are pretty clean nowadays with little extra ... Win95, Win98 before that), what Vista specific tweaks do you guys ... Have you noticed that within Vista, moving a file on the same hard disk ... but as I don't have thumbnails turned on then I wouldn't ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • CD/DVD problems with thumbnails
    ... I'm using a Compaq-Presario SR5130NX desktop computer with Vista Home ... brief instant then turn into the Generic Icon. ... Thinking perhaps the CD/DVD Rom was defective I ... thumbnails then the generic icon. ...
  • Thumbnails unnecessarily regenerating in Vista...
    ... The problem is that Vista REGENERATES a thumbnail for EVERY SINGLE file ... when you open the containing folder. ... has another central location in which it keeps thumbnails for files. ...
  • WMF/JPEG Thumbnails wont show
    ... I am unable to get my hundreds of pieces of wmf & jpeg clipart pieces to ... show as thumbnails, only as a generic program file. ... Done the Vista Forum tutorials for turning thumbnails on/off ...