Re: Bug in Windows Photo Gallery

Thanks for the info...you can share it with
Microsoft at the following links:

Send Feedback for Windows Live Photo Gallery
https://feedback.live.com/eform.aspx?productkey=photogallery

Providing Feedback to Microsoft
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/execmail/feedback.mspx

Upload Your Feedback To Microsoft
http://www.papajohn.org/AboutMovieMaker.html
(scroll to bottom of page)

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

=================================

Captain Packrat wrote:
Not sure how to submit this to Microsoft, so I'll post it here.

I was having an issue with Windows Photo Gallery in Vista SP1. When
I would double-click on an image file in one particular directory,
nothing would happen. I could open images in other folders just
fine, and I could open images in that particular folder using other
programs just as Paint. If I copied an image from that folder to
another, it would open correctly in Photo Gallery.

I finally managed to find the cause of the problem, an Internet
shortcut in the same folder. If I removed it from the folder, the
images would open correctly again. When I moved the link back, the
problem would occur again. Any folder into which I would put the
shortcut would become unable to open images in Windows Photo Gallery.

The only thing that was unusual about the shortcut was that the URL
was extremely long, a Google Maps link. The specific link was
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=s+oakley+ave+chicago+il&ie=UTF8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ll=41.787697,-87.686691&spn=0.010785,0.020084&z=14&layer=c&cbll=41.776747,-87.681011&panoid=R4fqWJEJkVCRco2uu3GK9Q&cbp=1,241.19153282558486,,1,11.544534208760151&source=embed

I tried editing the shortcut to make the URL shorter, and the problem
went away. When I recreated the shortcut with a long URL, the
problem reoccured. I have tried this with other addresses, though I
haven't tried to determine the exact length of URL that causes a
problem.

To summarize: In Vista, SP1, if a folder contains images and an
Internet Shortcut to a long URL, Windows Photo Gallery will fail to
open images within that folder. The problem is reproduceable.

  • Re: Moving pictures from Windows Photo Gallery into a folder on my des
    ... They are in a folder. ... For future reference you might want to create a new folder before you transfer pictures to your computer and then transfer them to the folder. ... >> I have downloaded my pictures from my camera to Windows Photo Gallery. ...
  • RE: Photo Gallery cant open this file or photo?
    ... I recently bought a new Vista, and saved a few pictures off of the ... and saved them to my 'Downloads' folder. ... them(in Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Live Photo Gallery, Paint, and ...
  • Re: Photo Gallery cant open this file or photo?
    ... ANY folder that contains photos can be imported ... into Photo Gallery. ...
  • Photo Gallery cant open this file or photo?
    ... I recently bought a new Vista, and saved a few pictures off of the ... and saved them to my 'Downloads' folder. ... them(in Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Live Photo Gallery, Paint, and ...
  • Re: Windows Photo Gallery has stopped working
    ... Have you tried installing Windows Live Photo Gallery? ... images in that particular folder using other programs just as Paint. ...