RE: "Windows Mail can compact the message store"

How do you delete the messages?

"Carol in GA" wrote:

I've had Vista installed for almost a month now and this evening I keep
getting a message when I close Windows Mail that says:

"Windows Mail can compact the message store. This can take a few minutes."
and asks "OK or Cancel"

What is this?

  • Re: Windows Mail can compact the messages store
    ... Its sole use is to compact and repair the WinMail database and to unstick messages in the outbox. ... Windows Mail runs rather slowly if there are more than 50,000 messages per ... 80,000 per folder. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Message compacting pop up when exiting WM
    ... Does it put the emails in a separate Zip file or what happens?". ... In WinMail the messages are no longer in the database file, but some 3rd party software can screw that up, which is why I wrote my WMUtil program, which will compact outside of Winmail's processes. ... I doubt that Windows Mail would cause data corruption, but if it did, the messages would still be on the hard drive. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Windows Mail can compact the messages store
    ... in use by Windows Mail or by another application". ... This problem occurs if you have a large mailbox with many e-mails folders ... Windows Mail and successfully compacted the entire message store: ... 4.After that try again to compact your Windows Mail Message Store ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Windows Mail can compact the messages store
    ... in use by Windows Mail or by another application". ... This problem occurs if you have a large mailbox with many e-mails folders ... Windows Mail and successfully compacted the entire message store: ... 4.After that try again to compact your Windows Mail Message Store ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Uninstalling Windows Mail
    ... Whenever I clicked the OK button for compressing the message store, ... Live Mail is my default, however I get this message whether Live Mail is ... In Windows Mail: Tools, Options, Advanced, Maintenance, "Compact ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)