Re: Windows Mail won't start in Vista

That error message happened before you restored a single email or contact?
Very strange. If it was me, I'd take this as an omen to upgrade to Windows
Live Mail. ;-)

But if you want to try repairing Windows Mail, read on.
It sounds like your Windows Mail message store structure is corrupted.
Try running the various repair functions in the WMUtil program:
http://www.oehelp.com/WMUtil

If no improvement, there is a very laborious way of resetting
Windows Mail. Follow this procedure:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/62560-windows-mail-problems.html
Scroll down to the section "PROBLEM TWO: How to Backup and Reset
Windows Mail"

Frankly, you'd be much better off to simply upgrade to Windows Live Mail:
http://download.live.com/wlmail
As part of its initial run, Windows Live Mail will import any Windows Mail
data it finds.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"RobWormald" wrote in message news:590BFC99-8D70-4EEF-A78F-B7818126E85F@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've just re-installed Vista on my dad's Dell PC, using the OEM disk. I've
downloaded and successfully applied all updates using the Windows Update, so
now to SP2 with all updates to 2010/07/26.

Problem is that Windows Mail has failed to open a single time since rebuild.
Continually getting the:-

"Windows Mail could not be started. The application was unable to open the
Windows Mail message store...."

This is followed by the dialogue box indicating "MSOE.DLL could not be
initialized".

I backed up mail and contacts from before the rebuild and want to restore
them for my dad to read, but Windows Mail won't open.

I did have AVG Free installed, but tried removing it to make sure that
wasn't causing the problem. It wasn't.

Any ideas?

-- Robert Wormald

  • Re: error message
    ... Try compacting and repairing the database with my Windows Mail utility: ... windows mail message store. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • error message
    ... windows mail could not be started. ... windows mail message store. ... If you've moved the database files to a new location, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Recovered Messages
    ... There is a very laborious way of resetting the Windows Mail message store. ... "Steve Cochran" wrote: ... I've deleted the actual Revovery Folder ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Error Starting Windows Mail
    ... which says windows mail could not be started. ... open the windows mail message store. ... message database if you`ve moved the database files to a new location ... ok to reset the database path to that location otherwise click cancel ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: full back up systems - not working, saying "File not found"
    ... upgrade now and get more features with Power2Go ... burn to disc (HERE it has silver boxes 2 either side each other a ... This newsgroup is for problems with Windows Mail. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)