Re: Can't send e-mail

Comcast long ago changed the recommended outgoing port from 25 to 587,
but many customers seem to have ignored that announcement.
Make sure your settings agree with this::
http://www.comcast.com/Customers/FAQ/FaqDetails.ashx?Id=2288

Note also that "My server requires authentication" must be checked.
Although those instructions were written for Outlook Express,
Windows Mail uses the same settings.

If you still get an error after implementing those changes, post it here
for our analysis.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Colin" wrote in message news:EE88C96F-6EDB-41BF-9AEA-3EF0139B87D5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I too am receiving the same message. I have followed all the instructions
given by Gary VanderMolen and other including but I am still having the same
problem. Logging onto my email account through my provider works without any
problem. The problem for whatever reason appears to be Microsoft related and
nothing to do with your provider. It's interesting that many people are
having the same problem!!!!
--
Colin from Castle Bromwich

"Kenny D" wrote:

I can receive but not send. Error message follows: The connection to the
server has failed. Subject 'Fw: Forward to Joanie', Account:
'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
I have validated with my ISP provider that all the settings are correct.
Please advise.

  • Re: server names
    ... 'no SMTP authentication' is the normal setting recommended ... have to try undocumented settings. ... server you are using must belong to your connection provider. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Linked server
    ... If you install Client Access on the server, ... SQL Server box so that you can use linked servers. ... For provider string, you need to include the library ... Settings will depend on how your AS400 is configured. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect)
  • Re: Connect to DB2 using SQL-Server
    ... If you install Client Access on the server, ... You can also use the OLE DB provider and follow the similar ... Settings will depend on how your AS400 is configured. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect)
  • Re: Problems sending mail in Windows Live Mail (and Windows Mail)
    ... Ports and related settings should not be changed on a trial and error basis. ... Use only the settings supported by your specific provider. ... The connection to the server has failed. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • RE: login and email problems
    ... Please carefully check settings required in my previous post and post the ... Install the RPC ping utility on the client computer and then open a command ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... Leave the Default Gateway of the internal NIC blank of the server box. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)