Re: Can't setup new email account

You're very welcome. Thanks for reporting back.
I didn't realize you had not yet created that new email address via your provider.
That is always the first step.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Birdie" wrote in message news:4CBDDD81-5817-427F-8B2A-5FD99C61D314@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for your reply. I had to log in to my provider's webmail website,
then add the new account there before I could add the new account (email
address) to my Windows Mail. It is working fine.
Birdie

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

First, test your password by logging in to your provider's webmail:
If that works, it proves you have the correct username and password.
A likely reason for the username/password failing in Windows Mail is
account corruption. One thing you should try as a possible quick fix is
to delete that corrupted mail account, restart Windows Mail, then
recreate that account.

If that doesn't fix it, more drastic measures will have to be taken.
Your AVG antivirus was probably installed with its default install option,
which installs an email scanning module. Just disabling its email scanning
may not be a sufficient remedy. Uninstall AVG, then reinstall, but select
'custom' install, which then allows you to unselect installing its
troublesome email scanning module.

For more on why email scanning in your antivirus is bad, see
:http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Birdie" wrote in message news:758C224A-33D9-4600-9C0A-52098600BD94@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am trying to set up a new email address. I have duplicated exactly my
other 2 addresses properties but it won't work. When I click on send/receive
everything is fine with the first 2 email address but with the new one it
asks for username and password. It won't accept what I enter, so when I
cancel, the error I get is copied below:

Account: 'pop.embarqmail.com (2)', Server: 'pop.embarqmail.com', Protocol:
POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Invalid login or password', Port: 110,
Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

I am using AVG Anti-Virus Free .Hope someone can help. Thank you.
Birdie

  • Re: Sending Error
    ... There is no server named smtp.dnvr.qwest.net. ... access your account from different locations by dialing into local phone ... after install it cannot pull address book so it wont send. ... Can someone tell me which pop email accounts work with windows mail so i ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: The server has rejected your login. Please verify that your us
    ... Thanks for your suggestion, Gary. ... respond as if this was a POP account. ... you installed AVG antivirus using its default install option. ... Windows Mail, then recreate the account. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Cant setup new email account
    ... then add the new account there before I could add the new account (email ... A likely reason for the username/password failing in Windows Mail is ... Your AVG antivirus was probably installed with its default install option, ... which installs an email scanning module. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Annoying validate your user name and password pop up box.
    ... one possible cause for that error is account corruption. ... mail account, restart Windows Mail, then recreate that account. ... As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off, ... If turning off the email scanning function does not resolve your problem, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: I can send e-mails but cannot receive them+ACEAIQAhACE-
    ... Come of this applies to Outlook Express, but is the same for Windows Mail. ... Is my computer still protected against viruses if I disable Email Scanning? ... Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, ... +AD4APg- Go to Tools, Accounts, select that mail account, Properties, Servers. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)