Re: e-mails....

When you get that repeated prompt for username and password, click Cancel,
which should then produce an error message. Right-click on your error message,
copy, then paste it into a reply here. We can't do much troubleshooting without
the complete error message.

First, test your password by logging in to your provider's webmail:
By the way, who is your mail service provider?
If that works, it proves you have the correct username and password.
A likely reason for the username/password failing in Windows Mail is
account corruption. One thing you should try as a possible quick fix is
to delete that corrupted mail account, restart Windows Mail, then
recreate that account.

If that doesn't fix it, more drastic measures will have to be taken.
Which antivirus are you running?
As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off,
although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.

For more on why email scanning in your antivirus is bad, see:

"Sandy" wrote in message news:26126C00-8F21-48A8-B650-0C3B5FAD4DA1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Had no problem on July 14, now it is showing me a screen to put in a username
and password..never had to to it before. Does anyone have an answer?? What to
do...

  • Re: CANNOT SEND OR RECEIVE MAIL
    ... A likely reason for the username/password failing is account corruption. ... As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off, ... We can't do much troubleshooting without the complete error message. ... I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO USE WINDOWS MAIL FOR THE LAST TWO DAYS. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Cant send email from one of two accounts; can receive on both
    ... and the other account works both ways fine still. ... diabling the antivirus but to no avail. ... with Windows Mail. ... There is not error message. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Gmail not working
    ... If you are sure you are you are entering the correct username and ... one possible cause for that error is account corruption. ... As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Password pop up box
    ... A likely reason for the username/password failing is account corruption. ... If that doesn't fix it, more drastic measures will have to be taken. ... As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off, ... asking for my username and password. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: windows mail error
    ... You say you can receive but not send, yet the error message you ... Your mail account settings are correct, ... security program like an antivirus. ... Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)