Re: Windows mail problem

@janet: You say you went back to port 25, but that doesn't tell me what port you
tried before.
When you got that error message, was your Internet connection being
obtained from Earthlink? Or were you using a laptop away from home?

According to your provider, you should be using port 587, see
http://support.earthlink.net/email/email-server-settings.php
If you get an error with port 587, post the error message here.

The complete Earthlink settings for Windows Mail are documented here:
http://support.earthlink.net/articles/email/windows-vista-how-to-modify-earthlink-email-account-settings-in-windows-mail.php
Make sure you have "My server requires authentication" enabled, as it shows there.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"janet" wrote in message news:70712566-4D10-4DA1-A00E-0F4C6F36D79C@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Dell Inspiron 1501, using Windows Mail with earthlink: Can receive but not
send email like all these others. Here is error message:

The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'test Fri', Account:
'pop.earthlink.net', Server: 'smtpauth.earthlink.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port:
25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Have disconnected/connected. Went back to Default port 25. Nothing works.

Help!

"Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" wrote:

Go to Tools, Accounts, select that mail account, Properties, Servers.
Make sure that "Log on using Secure Password Authentication" is not enabled.

If that setting was already unchecked, which antivirus are you running?
Some of them cause problems with Windows Mail over time.
Make sure your antivirus is not configured to scan emails.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"marcie" wrote in message news:utJMoTKJLHA.4320@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rec'd the following msg when I tried to log into my acct

Account: 'mail.optonline.net', Server: 'mail.optonline.net', Protocol:
POP3, Server Response: '-ERR invalid command', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC91

Any suggestions?

  • Re: cannot send mail from Windows mail
    ... When a username/password combination doesn't work in Windows Mail, ... I mean I dont use it but as outgoing address for my ISP account. ... youir username and password are correct for your mail server". ... Ask your home ISP if they support SMTP on a port other than 25. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: port 4125
    ... The error message indeed indicates that there is some process use the port ... then please try to logon to SBS server box to test the ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... I attached a screenshot of the error message I receive. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: E-mail problem
    ... The connection to the server has failed. ... When you try to send or receive messages by using an Exchange server client, you may receive an error message. ... The client connects to a port that is blocked or unavailable on the mail server. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: Set up on Mail not working
    ... Go to Tools, Accounts, select that mail account, Properties, Servers. ... Account: 'Windows Mail ', Server: 'pop.gmail.com', Protocol: ... Secure: Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18 ... right-click on your error message, copy, then paste it into a reply ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Another discussion of this
    ... Strictly speaking, this is not a port 25 block, as would have been ... InsightBroadband has some special settings for travelers that should help: ... PLEASE COPY & PASTE THE ERROR MESSAGE TO GET SPECIFIC ASSISTANCE. ... using the correct port settings as provided by the server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)