Re: Windows mail problem

@amyholt1: It is highly unlikely that the Windows Update caused
your problem.

Thanks for submitting a copy of your error message. It allows me to
see that your settings are good, and we need to look elsewhere for the
source of the problem.

First, test your password by logging in to your provider's webmail:
https://signin.optimum.net/signin

If that works, it proves you have the correct username and password.
A likely reason for the username/password failing in Windows Mail is
account corruption. One thing you should try as a possible quick fix is
to delete that corrupted mail account, restart Windows Mail, then
recreate that account.

If that doesn't fix it, more drastic measures will have to be taken.
Which antivirus are you running?
As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off,
although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.

Email scanning in any antivirus must be disabled, for reasons
explained here:

"amyholt1" wrote in message news:349B7BD9-B4DF-468A-9B28-AE321F1EE36F@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi -
This is the error message I've been getting. I have tried your other
suggestions. Secure log in is not checked. The only thing I can think of is
that there has been a windows update.
Update for Windows Mail Junk E-mail Filter [July 2010] (KB905866)

Installation date: ?7/?14/?2010 8:16 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Recommended

Install this update for Windows Mail to revise the definition files that are
used to detect e-mail messages that should be considered junk e-mail or that
may contain phishing content. After you install this item, you may have to
restart your computer.

Security Update for Microsoft Outlook 2002 (KB980371)

Installation date: ?7/?14/?2010 8:14 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

A security vulnerability exists in Microsoft Outlook 2002 that could allow
arbitrary code to run when a maliciously modified file is opened. This update
resolves that vulnerability.

could these be the problem?

Account: 'mail.optonline.net', Server: 'mail.optonline.net', Protocol: POP3,
Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC17

"Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" wrote:

When it keeps prompting you for username and password, click Cancel.
That should produce an error message. Right-click on your error message,
copy, then paste it into a reply here. We can't do much troubleshooting
without the complete error message.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"amyholt1" wrote in message news:4805D7E5-0DFC-4203-A977-CF95A4A47966@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am also having the same problem. Not matter how many times I put in my
correct user name and password it doesn't work. Please help!

"sharon" wrote:

seems we're all having the same problem. keeps asking me to sign in (never
did before) and then I get the same error message. HELP!!