Re: Unsent Mail

Hey fellow Vistaheads,

Here's a solution that worked for me when getting this error message:

"The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'Test Email',
Account: 'pop.east.cox.net', Server: 'smtp.east.cox.net', Protocol:
SMTP, Port 25, Secure (SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number:
0x800CCC0E"

This solution came via Cox Communications' Website (here's the link:
'Article: How to: Configure SMTP Authentication in Windows Mail in
Windows Vista' (http://tinyurl.com/3xrxh3g) ):

The steps to configure SMTP authentication in Windows Mail in Windows
Vista to send Cox.net email through a -_non-Cox_IP_address_- (such as
when you're in some other LAN other than one you regularly connect to):
1. Open up Windows Mail, and from the "Tools" menu, select
"Accounts".
2. Select your mail account (mine is pop.cox.net), then click the
"Properties" button.
3. a. From the "Servers" tab, under "Outgoing Mail Server", check the
"My server requires authentication" box.
b. Click the "Settings" button.
4. a. Select the "Log on using" radio button, then enter your E-mail
username and Password.
b. Click the OK button.
5. a. From the "Advanced" tab, under "Server Port Numbers", change
the Outgoing mail (SMTP) port to *465*.
b. Check the "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)"
box.
6. Click the "OK" button, then click the "Close" button.

I had the same exact problem/error messages and numbers described in
earlier posts here and in many other forums all over Internet for
months, and I've tried all kinds of recommendations to fix this problem,
like the ones listed above about disabling firewalls or email scanning.
Firewalls, email scanning, and antivirus software are not the problems
here. Port 25 being blocked by most ISP's is the problem, which isn't a
bad thing because it's the ISP's attempt at trying to reduce spam and
other annoying junk emails. Port 465 is a "well-known" port for SMTP.
Others that I've seen being used instead of 465 is port 26 and port 587.
Many articles are out there concerning the use of other ports other
than 25 and why a majority of ISP's have blocked port 25 for sending
mail. I hope this helps everyone out.

--
bCtStYlE

  • Re: cannot send mail from Windows mail
    ... When a username/password combination doesn't work in Windows Mail, ... I mean I dont use it but as outgoing address for my ISP account. ... youir username and password are correct for your mail server". ... Ask your home ISP if they support SMTP on a port other than 25. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Mail sent through IIS virtual SMTP server not arriving
    ... Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP ... In the Default SMTP Virtual Server's properties, in the "Access" tab, both ... a real sender address on the SMTP virtual server? ... Youi'll find sample code for changing the port number under system.web.amil here: ...
  • Exchange issues
    ... IP address that the MX record points, port forwarding is configured to route ... all traffic on port 25 to the SBS Exhange server. ... I suspected SMTP relaying becuase ... All the Exchange services are running and all looks fine. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange2000.admin)
  • RE: SMTPS - Exchange
    ... the newsgroups are staffed weekdays by Microsoft Support professionals to ... If the Exchange server is listening on other port rather than ... the external email server will not send emails to your SMTP ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: outlook express wont connect using ssl
    ... my smtp VS which is on 587 to the same settings as my default server ... the only difference is the port #. ... As soon as the cert has been added, SSL ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)