Re: Unsent Mail

Hey fellow Vistaheads,

Here's a solution that worked for me when getting this error message:

"The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'Test Email',
Account: 'pop.east.cox.net', Server: 'smtp.east.cox.net', Protocol:
SMTP, Port 25, Secure (SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number:
0x800CCC0E"

This solution came via Cox Communications' Website (here's the link:
'Article: How to: Configure SMTP Authentication in Windows Mail in
Windows Vista' (http://tinyurl.com/3xrxh3g) ):

The steps to configure SMTP authentication in Windows Mail in Windows
Vista to send Cox.net email through a -_non-Cox_IP_address_- (such as
when you're in some other LAN other than one you regularly connect to):
1. Open up Windows Mail, and from the "Tools" menu, select
"Accounts".
2. Select your mail account (mine is pop.cox.net), then click the
"Properties" button.
3. a. From the "Servers" tab, under "Outgoing Mail Server", check the
"My server requires authentication" box.
b. Click the "Settings" button.
4. a. Select the "Log on using" radio button, then enter your E-mail
username and Password.
b. Click the OK button.
5. a. From the "Advanced" tab, under "Server Port Numbers", change
the Outgoing mail (SMTP) port to *465*.
b. Check the "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)"
box.
6. Click the "OK" button, then click the "Close" button.

I had the same exact problem/error messages and numbers described in
earlier posts here and in many other forums all over Internet for
months, and I've tried all kinds of recommendations to fix this problem,
like the ones listed above about disabling firewalls or email scanning.
Firewalls, email scanning, and antivirus software are not the problems
here. Port 25 being blocked by most ISP's is the problem, which isn't a
bad thing because it's the ISP's attempt at trying to reduce spam and
other annoying junk emails. Port 465 is a "well-known" port for SMTP.
Others that I've seen being used instead of 465 is port 26 and port 587.
Many articles are out there concerning the use of other ports other
than 25 and why a majority of ISP's have blocked port 25 for sending
mail. I hope this helps everyone out.

--
bCtStYlE