Re: Can't acess Hotmail accout using Microsoft Windows Mail

Follow the settings given here:
http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!CC9301187A51FE33!49799.entry
Use port 587 rather than port 25 for the SMTP server.

To give you a bit of history, Windows Mail doesn't support HTTP mail,
which for a long time was the only allowed access method for free
Hotmail accounts. Also, Windows Mail, having its development frozen in July 2006,
is not aware that Microsoft enabled POP access for free Hotmail/Live/MSN accounts
in February 2010. Therefore, the Windows Mail account setup wizard is hard-coded
to reject Hotmail and MSN addresses.To get around that limitation, when you enter
your Hotmail/MSN email address initially, use a fake domain, such as
me@xxxxxxxxxxxxx After the account setup is complete, go back and correct your
email address.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Akhil V Devan" wrote in message news:uDuLInpILHA.1868@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hai all,
I cant set up my hotmail accout in windows mail it displays that windows
mail no longer supports http accouts like hotmail.
Is there any way to solve this problem.
Thank you in advance.

  • Re: cannot connect to pop3 server
    ... Are you concerned about setting up your Hotmail account in Windows Mail? ... Use port 587 rather than port 25 for the SMTP server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: WinMail Contacts lists dont match
    ... That there are names on the To list that I have never sent emails to from WinMail but have from hotmail led me in that direction of thought. ... I also put the names from this updated backup list in the user Contacts folder when I do a new install. ... likely you will use the Windows search program. ... right now all I have is the Windows Mail. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: email
    ... So which account do you want to set up in Windows Mail, ... Use port 587 rather than port 25 for the SMTP server. ... account setup wizard is hard-coded to reject Hotmail and MSN addresses. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Importing Hotmail Possible at all?
    ... Hotmail accounts in Windows Mail must be set up manually. ... Windows Mail will only handle Hotmail via the POP protocol, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Vista Mail & HTTP
    ... WLM has a non-beta version. ... Windows Mail won't do WebDAV. ... Hotmail account has POP access, you should be able to set that up ... OE won't run in Vista. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)